Nonemaker named ABCA Assistant Coach of the Year

<p>Brendan Venter (8) high-fives coach Karl Nonemaker at first&nbsp;during Auburn baseball vs. Missouri at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala. on Friday, March 30, 2018.</p>

Brendan Venter (8) high-fives coach Karl Nonemaker at first during Auburn baseball vs. Missouri at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala. on Friday, March 30, 2018.

Assistant coach Karl Nonemaker was recognized by the American Baseball Coaches Association as their 2022 Division I Assistant Coach of the Year on Wednesday morning. Nonemaker is the first Auburn coach to receive the award since its establishment in 1999.

At the conclusion of his fifth year with the Tigers, Nonemaker helped lead the program to two College World Series appearances and three Super Regional appearances in the past four seasons, alongside the 2014 winner of the award, Auburn head coach Butch Thompson who won the award while at Mississippi State.

“This recognition of such an elite award solidifies Karl among the best in our industry,” said Thompson. "From spearheading our recruiting efforts to working with what has been one of the best infields in the country...He has played a vital role in our success and has an amazing influence on our staff and our student-athletes. Everything he does is at the highest level."

Nonemaker serves as the program’s recruiting coordinator and works primarily with the infielders. The Tigers posted a .981 fielding percentage last and had 2022’s No. 2 signing class. Nine Auburn infielders have been selected in the past four MLB Drafts as compared to five in the six MLB Drafts prior to Nonemaker joining the staff.

“It’s an honor to receive this recognition, especially among so many deserving coaches,” Nonemaker said. “Often, when a coach is selected for an award like this, it’s a direct reflection of the program and people that they are connected to. That’s certainly the case in this instance. Auburn baseball is and has been filled with impressive coaches, staff members and players, and it’s a privilege to be a part of this program.”

Share and discuss “Nonemaker named ABCA Assistant Coach of the Year” on social media.