Auburn Police searching for suspect in South College shooting

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

The Auburn Police Department announced that they are seeking a suspect in a fatal shooting that occurred at The Beacon apartment complex at 12:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 19. 

According to APD, 23-year-old Keyon Black of Opelika, Ala., entered one of the units and fired multiple rounds at an unidentified 32-year-old Auburn man that did not live there. 

The unnamed victim suffered gunshot wounds to his upper torso and lower body and later succumbed to his injuries despite receiving medical assistance.

Black is described as “a black male with a slender build and should be considered armed and dangerous.”

Based on a preliminary investigation, law enforcement officials believed Black and the victim were known to each other and that this act of violence was not random.

As of Monday afternoon, a warrant had been obtained for Black’s arrest for the charge of capital murder.

According to Assistant Chief of Police Clarence Stewart, a capital murder charge is issued based on aggravating circumstances, such as the commission of a robbery or the act being committed in the presence of a child.

Stewart did not elaborate further on the aggravating circumstance(s) that led to the capital murder warrant being issued against Black.

When asked for comment about the incident, The Beacon responded with the following statement.

"The well-being of our residents and on-site staff is our number one priority and the police have confirmed there is no current threat to residents. We sympathize with the victim’s friends and family and encourage all students to reach out to the university’s counseling center to receive support if needed," said Dan Oltersdort, a representative of The Beacon.

Olersdorf also claimed that The Beacon is working with law enforcement to help investigate the homicide.

"We have turned over camera footage to law enforcement. Our team along with the on-site security company servicing the community will continue to work closely with the authorities as they investigate and will continue to do so as the investigation continues," Olersdort said.

As to why an AU Alert was not issued, Floyd Johnson, Director of Emergency Management at the Department of Campus Safety and Security, said that the homicide did not meet the criteria of an alert-worthy event.

"Auburn Police contacted Campus Safety and Security early this morning about a homicide at a private apartment on South College Street," Floyd said. "Individuals involved were not affiliated with Auburn University. Auburn Police did not feel that there was a threat to the campus community."

Anyone with information concerning this investigation or Black’s location is asked to anonymously contact the Auburn Police Department Detective Division at 334-501-3140 or the Tip Line at 334-246-1391.

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn Police searching for suspect in South College shooting” on social media.