Auburn snags top-rated receiver out of Georgia

An Auburn football rests on a table at the final day of SEC Media Days in Atlanta, Georgia, on July 21, 2022

A day after Central Phenix City wide receiver Karmello English announced he would be decommiting from Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin and the Tigers secured a commitment from the state of Georgia's top-rated wide receiver in Adam Hopkins on Thursday morning.

Listed at 5'11'' and 175 pounds, Hopkins is a consensus four-star recruit that is ranked as the 67th overall recruit in the nation by ESPN, 211th by Rivals, 189th by 247 Sports and 281st by On3 Sports. Hopkins chose Auburn over offers from SEC West rivals Arkansas and Texas A&M, among others.

A Thomas County Central High School product from Thomasville, Ga., Hopkins has played in 30 career games in four seasons for the Yellow Jackets thus far and has recorded 88 receptions for 1,249 yards and 13 touchdowns.

The pickup could be considered a major win for the Tigers as they desperately needed to add depth to skill positions with this class. And they indeed received that with Hopkins, who becomes the highest-rated player in Auburn’s 62nd-ranked 2023 recruiting class.

On film, Hopkins displays impressive awareness and anticipation and has the necessary athletic skills to play in the SEC. A two-way player that also features as a ball-hawking cornerback, he flashes an aggressive mentality on both sides of the ball that will provide unquestionable value to wide receiver coach Ike Hilliard.

While not boasting world-class speed, Hopkins’ 14.2-yard reception average while playing in Georgia 5A football shows that he is a deep threat against adequate competition, and an incredible 110-yard interception return for a touchdown against Albany, Ga., Monroe High School last season showcased his playmaking ability.

He now joins four-star safety commit Terrance Love as the only two players from the state of Georgia in this year’s recruiting class.

Hopkins’ commitment now gives Harsin and the Tigers eight commits in the 2023 class.

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn snags top-rated receiver out of Georgia ” on social media.