Barrett named SEC Setter of the Week

<p>Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Jackie Barrett (10) sets the ball in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.</p>

Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Jackie Barrett (10) sets the ball in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.

Last weekend, the Auburn Tigers hit the road for a tri-meet against Jacksonville State, Southern Mississippi and Jackson State. The Tigers had great success in Jacksonville, winning all three matches and extending their record to a historic 11-0.

After Auburn’s victorious performance last weekend junior Jackie Barrett was named SEC Setter of the Week, earning a career high of 57 assists against the Gamecocks and going into the match with 33 assists from the match against the Golden Eagles. 

In addition to her record- breaking offensive stats, Barrett showed her defensive skills with 24 digs, and 20 blocks total last weekend. Of the 24 blocks, 11 came from the Jacksonville State match, setting a new season high for Barrett.

Barrett was named the starting setter for all 28 matches in the 2021 season, averaging an 8.09 assists per set average and having 809 total assists.

This year, the Tigers have a much younger team, starting five freshman last weekend in the tri-match. 

“It means a ton for us, especially since we’re such a young program,” said Auburn head coach Brent Crouch.

With such a young team, having older, more experienced players can play a big part in winning, and it was made evident in last week matches.

Barrett stepped up numerous times coming out of timeouts, using explosive plays to keep the tempo up. She set the match's tone with a solo block against the Golden Eagles after Crouch called time out following Southern Mississippi tying up the game.

With Barrett’s outstanding performance as setter, other players were able to capitalize on these given opportunities.

Freshman pin hitter, Akasha Anderson, had 14 kills against Southern Miss, reaching over ten kills for the fifth time this season. 

Additionally, Auburn now has had a hitting percentage about .3 for the fifth time this season as well.

The Tiger’s next match is Saturday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m. CST on the road at Alabama, the volleyball Iron Bowl set to be Auburn’s first SEC match. 

Amanda Davidson | Sports Writer

Amanda Davidson is a sophomore at Auburn, majoring in journalism and minoring in marketing and studio arts. From LaGrange, Ga., she started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @Manny1Davidson

Share and discuss “Barrett named SEC Setter of the Week” on social media.