Freshman look back on their first few game days on the Plains

<p>Auburn students cheer for a tiger touchdown.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn students cheer for a tiger touchdown. 

Game days are back on the Plains and the Auburn students couldn’t be happier. As many students return to Jordan-Hare Stadium, the familiar feeling of cheering on the Tigers is nothing new to them. 

As for the freshman, the whole experience is a whole new ball game. 

Auburn's first game was against the Mercer Bears on Saturday, Sept. 3. The weather for the game was not ideal, as the extreme heat was followed by pouring rain, but that didn’t stop fans.

Kinley Woodard, freshman from Greenville, Alabama, didn’t think that the weather had a damper effect on anyone’s attitude. 

“The rain is something all the freshman will remember as their first game day experience,” Woodard said. 

Many freshmen, including Macy Denhart from Dothan, Alabama, were surprised at how early the students arrived in the stadium before the game. 

“The game started at 6:00 p.m. and when we got there at 4:30 p.m., the stadium was already completely full,” Denhart said. 

Woodward echoed this sentiment, saying that she wasn’t prepared for how early she needed to get to the game to get a good spot in the student section.

Matthew Moonan, a freshman from Charlotte, North Carolina, was just as surprised. “The student gates were so long,” Moonan said,  “I was surprised by how many people were at the game 1-2 hours before kick-off."

The long lines and packed stadium weren’t the only things the freshman were surprised by. 

“I was also surprised at how all the students knew all the words to the chants,” Denhart said. “It really shows how much school spirit everyone has." 

It is no secret that Auburn students love Auburn, and freshmen got to see that love firsthand for the next three Saturdays. 

In addition to the traditions experienced inside Jordan-Hare, many freshmen agreed that the fun started long before kickoff. 

According to Moonan, the highlight of his game day was tailgating at his fraternity house, hanging out and grilling with his friends.

“I will be at my fraternity house for every game day and cannot wait for the next one," he said.

Luckily for Moonan, he won't have to wait long. With two home games down and two more to go before the tigers hit the road, Auburn students will have plenty of time for game day traditions on the Plains. 

Share and discuss “Freshman look back on their first few game days on the Plains” on social media.