Plainsman Picks: Penn State

Week three is here, along with the highly-anticipated rematch with Penn State -- this time, it will be played in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Here's what our sports staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Callie Stanford, Sports Editor: Penn State 27-17

@Stanford1Callie

"Week one's performance had me going into week two with higher expectations. I think that was a reality check and I expect Penn State to be a larger one. I think Auburn knows how much it has to work on and there's certainly a chip from last year, but this one is still going to be difficult.

I think with some explosive plays and an establishment of the run game will keep Auburn in the game, but at the end of the day I think the Tigers will be outplayed. The pieces of the puzzle aren't quite connected here on the Plains and even if Jordan-Hare Stadium is rocking, Penn State will probably leave with the win."

Noah Griffith, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 20-17

@NoahGG01

"I expect a very similar game to last year between these two teams. I think the difference this time, besides Auburn being at home, is Auburn's offensive line. They have allowed just one sack over the first two games and have paved the way for Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter to get in the end zone a combined seven times, not to mention, T.J. Finley had a rushing touchdown late in the game against San Jose State. 

I think Bigsby, Hunter and Damari Alston will combine for 250 yards, and a Finley pass to John Samuel Shenker sets up an Anders Carlson game-winning field goal as time expires."

Jacob Waters, Sports Reporter: 23-14 Penn State

@Jacobwaters_

"This game will come down to two things: quarterback play and explosive plays. Whichever side has the better aspect of these two things will earn a massive win. Opposed to many, I believe Sean Clifford is a quality QB with loads of experience. He carved Auburn's secondary in last season's matchup, and after Auburn's lackluster pass defense against San Jose State, I see him having similar success in this game even in a hostile environment.

Auburn also does not have the offensive playmakers that Penn State has. Outside of Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter, there are still a lot of questions on Auburn's offense. Meanwhile, Penn State is established offensively. Freshman running back Nicholas Singleton has solved Penn State's problem running the ball. Wide receivers Parker Washington and Mitchell Tinsley are explosive, and I trust them more than the Auburn WR core.

The game will be close throughout, but Penn State tacks on a late field goal to clinch the win."

Daniel Schmidt, Assistant News Editor: Penn State 19-13

@dschmdittweets

"This may be an unpopular pick, but I think Auburn falls to Penn State in a slugfest where both teams settle for field goals after fizzling out in the red zone. With the Tigers' passing attack still a work in progress and facing a Nittany Lion defense that features two rangy, experienced cornerbacks in future NFL draft pick Joey Porter, Jr. and Johnny Dixon, Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter will face a loaded box most of the night.

While Auburn's defense keeps it close with a valiant effort, longtime - and I mean longtime - quarterback Sean Clifford will get just enough from an elusive wide receiver room to give head coach James Franklin a marquee win."

Chris Mendoza, Sports Writer: Auburn 24-21

@Chris_Mendoza20

"Auburn’s defense has struggled so far containing quarterbacks. This week they will be going up against a quarterback who tends to stand in the pocket but can still make some plays with his legs. If Auburn’s defense can get and maintain pressure on the quarterback, I think Auburn will remain undefeated on the season. Penn State has the odds on paper, but this Penn State team has never had to play a 2:30 p.m. kickoff in the south. Auburn fans will bring their A-game on Saturday against a non-conference Power Five team."

Donavan Weaver, Sports Writer: Auburn 19-17

@DonavanWeaver21

"This is a must-win for coach Harsin and the Tigers. I believe that Auburn's run defense will continue to hold strong against Penn State, which will allow the Tigers' defense to focus on the Nittany Lion's passing attack. Auburn's run game will continue to be great, with Bigsby and Hunter both going over 100 yards rushing. This will open up the passing attack for Finley and the Auburn receivers. The key aspect in this game is Auburn's home-field advantage. Being one of the toughest places to play in the country, Auburn can beat anybody on any given Saturday in Jordan-Hare.

William Halliday, Sports Writer: Penn State 20-13

"I think the atmosphere will be electric for this game. Both teams are coming in undefeated and hoping to stay that way after this game. I believe Auburn will have a good running attack with Bigsby and Ashford, and the defense will be able to slow down Penn State offense a little bit. However, it won't be enough as I think Sean Clifford will win the quarterback battle against TJ, and the Nittany Lions will pull out the win by a touchdown."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Penn State” on social media.