Roberts names interim athletic director

Nearly three weeks after former athletic director Allen Greene stepped down, Auburn fans will finally have some peace of mind on the future of the athletic program. On Tuesday, Sept. 13, president Christopher B. Roberts announced Rich McGlynn as the interim athletic director. 

The decision, effective immediately, comes before the university brings its "competitive national search" for the next athletic director.

“I am confident in Rich’s ability to lead us forward during this transition period," Roberts said. "He has tremendous experience in the field and at Auburn University.” 

McGlynn has been with Auburn for 16 years, joining in 2006 and currently serves as the executive associate athletics director of compliance. He worked for the NCAA from 2001 to 2006, serving as a student-athletes reinstatement representative and assistant director of membership services before being named associate director of membership services for the NCAA.

Prior to that, McGlynn served as the commissioner of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference from 2000 to 2001 and a legal specialist for the New Jersey General Assembly Majority Office from 2000 to 2001. Additionally, he served as a legal specialist to the Office of Counsel to the Governor to the State of New Jersey from 1999 to 2000. 

He graduated from Florida Southern University in 1993 with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and earned his Juris Doctorate from the Seton Hall University School of Law in 1999. 

“As President, I am fully committed to building and sustaining nationally competitive athletics programs," Roberts said. "As such, my goal is to find the very best person to lead Auburn Athletics- and someone who will lead our programs to even greater levels of success.”

In the coming weeks, Auburn is expected to announce additional details about the national search process and its approach moving forward. 

Share and discuss “Roberts names interim athletic director” on social media.