Atlanta Guide: How to make the most out of a day trip to the Big Peach

Centennial Park's ferris wheel is eclipsed by foggy sky scrapers on the morning of July 21, 2022.

Atlanta, Georgia is just a short drive away from Auburn University; making it a tried-and-true spot for a day trip. From restaurants to live music, Atlanta has a lot to offer both tourists and locals. 

“You have a variety of activities no matter the time of day. It reminds me of the city that never sleeps.” Georgia Mock, a junior in Speech Pathology, said. 

Some of Atlanta’s well-known highlights are Ponce City Market and SkyView Atlanta. 

Ponce City Market is a rustic market featuring restaurants and retail stores. There is even an amusement park on the rooftop. According to poncecitymarket.com, this market pays homage to Atlanta’s rich history. The building started as a Sears retail and distribution warehouse, then was used as a City Hall. Finally, in 2011, it was renovated to what it is today. 

As for Skyview Atlanta, the attraction is located in Downtown Atlanta in Centennial Park. It features a large ferris wheel with climate-controlled gondolas from which to view the city. For tickets and the hours of operation, visit skyviewatlanta.com. 

While Atlanta has popular attractions, it also has a wide array of shopping experiences. From Lenox Square to The Battery, the city provides ample opportunities for retail therapy. Made up of about 200 tenants, Lenox Square is a two-story mall and shopping destination. 

The Battery is also a popular shopping destination. It is home to over 30 restaurants and shops. The Battery also provides an apartment complex for those who want to live in the middle of all the action. According to mlb.com, it is also known as a sports and entertainment experience. 

“The battery is so cute. There are unique restaurants and shopping experiences,” Lauren Alexander, a junior in Public Relations, said. 

After visiting The Battery, walk across the street to find Truist Park, the home of the Atlanta Braves, for a baseball game and concessions. The baseball schedule can be found on mlb.com.

Another hotspot in Atlanta for those who have an artistic eye would be the Krog Street Tunnel. It is a tunnel that has been completely decorated with graffiti or street art which provides the perfect backdrop. Ponce City Market also features different artwork and photo opportunities. 

According to zumper.com, Atlanta is known as a top entertainment destination. Thrillist mentions the city has numerous venues to host different genres and different-sized crowds. While Atlanta has a lot to offer, this big city has its flaws.

When it comes to traffic, Atlanta is ranked number 10 for the worst traffic as stated by usnews.com. 

“A day trip to Atlanta looks like sitting in your car for 30 minutes to go one block,” Jenna Codner, a senior and Atlanta local said. 

When planning a day trip to Atlanta, consider both the pros and cons of making this journey.  

“Atlanta is a diverse place that hosts opportunities for many different people, said John Warner Norris, a junior studying Law and Justice. 

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Atlanta Guide: How to make the most out of a day trip to the Big Peach” on social media.