Auburn falls to LSU 3-2 in season's first loss

Looking to keep its hot streak alive, Auburn went south to Death Valley to take on LSU. Once the night was over, the win streak was lost in a 3-2 battle.

On offense, pin hitter Akasha Anderson paved the way by leading the team with 22 kills. Middle blocker Chelsey Harmon and pin hitter Madison Scheer followed close behind with 12 kills. Setter Jackie Barrett aided the offense with two serving aces, while the junior setter achieved a career-high of 60 assists.  

Harmon led the Tigers’ defense with seven blocks as pin hitter Bel Zimmerman trailed close behind. Auburn’s back row was electric. Liberos, Sarah Morton, and Fallan Lanham led the team with 21 and 20 digs as Barrett and Anderson followed close behind. Lanham’s 20 digs is a career-high for the young libero. 

The home Tigers started the match off fast, looking for a win of their own. Auburn gained momentum later in the match, but LSU regained control and won the game 3-2 (25-22, 20-25, 20-25, 25-21, 15-12).

Although Auburn started the match strong, LSU was hungry for a win after losing to Ole Miss. After trailing Auburn in the second and third sets, the Tigers found some momentum in the last two sets. 

“We’re so young and battled so tough on the road. LSU made some good adjustments in the fourth set. They made a sub, and just kind of went for it,” said head coach Brent Crouch. “On our side, there were for sure some steps forward. Tonight was by far our best night for us attacking the slide. We just couldn’t put together enough runs at the right times to win it.”

LSU’s veterans carried the Tigers to victory. Outside hitter Sanaa Dotson matched Auburn’s Anderson with 22 kills as fellow outside hitters Paige Flickinger, and Hannah Jacobs trailed with 11 and ten. Setter Maddie Waak and Flickinger assisted LSU’s offense with two serving aces each. 

“I thought we battled really hard. You know this team, win or lose, they’re working as hard as they can all the time,” Crouch said. “And it’s obvious. When you’re down as much as we were in the fifth and then to come back that close is just an example of it.”

Although the outcome was not the one it were looking for, Auburn looks ahead as they return home to face the Georgia Bulldogs at 4 p.m. CT this Saturday and Sunday. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to LSU 3-2 in season's first loss” on social media.