Auburn outlasts the Tide to conclude fall schedule

Gavin Miller (#11) tags runner out in a match of Auburn and Alabama at Plainsman Park on Oct. 28, 2022

Fans flooded the stands as Auburn returned to Plainsman Park Friday night in a high-scoring fall ball game against rival Alabama. 

The Tigers rotated a majority of their roster in during the lengthy game, with 20 position players and 10 pitchers taking the field throughout. The team effort lead the Tigers to a 13-8 victory through 12 close innings. 

The Auburn bats came alive in the back half of the game with a total of 11 runs scored. Starting left fielder Justin Kirby generated momentum for the Tigers with a home run in the bottom of the sixth, followed by fifth year Kason Howell’s second hit of the game. Ending the inning was freshman Ike Irish with a three-run home run to give Auburn a five-run lead. 

The Crimson Tide started out strong with two runs in the top of the second, but Auburn stayed on its toes in the bottom with a hit from Howell and Irish’s RBI single tying the score. 

Although the stadium seats emptied as the night progressed, the Tigers kept their energy high. Brody Wortham had a base hit and Mike Bello, with a line drive, set up newcomer Chris Stanfield up with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Stanfield embraced the pressure with a two RBI single, increasing the Auburn lead by 6.

Auburn's defense was successful throughout the duration of the game receiving only two errors in 12 innings. Starting first baseman Cooper McMurray held firm at first and veteran catcher Nate LaRue had a throw down to second during the third at-bat of the game. 

By the end of the night, 10 pitchers had taken the mound for the Tigers, with returners Joseph Gonzalez and Chase Allsup being the only two to stay in for multiple innings. Allsup, the starting pitcher of the night, threw a total of five strikeouts during his two innings on the bump. 

New faces on the mound for Auburn consisted of sophomore transfer Will Cannon, freshman Drew Nelson and redshirt freshman Trevor Horne. Wrapping up the game was returning senior Chase Isbell. 

Before the start of the game, opening pitches were thrown by the 2022 College World Series alumni, including recently drafted Sonny Dichiara and Blake Rambush. Their fellow teammates embraced the drafted alums on their home field, but the team will also be recognized in Jordan-Hare Stadium as the football team takes on Arkansas. 

The rivalry matchup with Alabama was the last time the Tigers will play an actual opponent before their non-conference schedule commences in February. 

Share and discuss “Auburn outlasts the Tide to conclude fall schedule” on social media.