Auburn secures first SEC win in Kentucky

<p>Auburn Soccer celebrates M.E. Craven's (#22) goal against against Army on Sep. 4, 2022.</p>

Auburn Soccer celebrates M.E. Craven's (#22) goal against against Army on Sep. 4, 2022.

The Tigers traveled to play the Wildcats and left with the first conference win. 

“This was a huge result on the road for our team tonight,” said head coach Karen Hoppa. “I’m so proud of how they’ve continued to develop despite not getting the results.”

Throughout the first period, the Wildcats stuck close to the Tigers, tied 1-1. Both teams' defenses held strong through the second period, until Auburn’s M.E. Craven scored, giving Auburn the lead 2-1. Kentucky quickly lost momentum with Auburn solidifying their lead 3-1. 

“I was so excited when I saw the opportunity for the goal because I have really been working on my attacking headers,” Craven said. “It was nice to finally put one away. Shoutout to Anna (Haddock) because her ball was perfectly placed.

Craven's height and head earned the goal that gave Auburn the win, but the scoring was initially started by Anna Haddock just 17 minutes into the game. The final goal came courtesy of Sabrina McNeill nine minutes after Craven. 

McNeill's cross found the left side of the goal after bouncing off the knee of Kentucky's Maggy Henschler, who was responsible for the lone Wildcat goal.

Goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska once again proved herself tonight. Prohaska saved three shots and only allowed one to get past her. Tonight, she brought her yearly save total to 43. 

On the front line, Auburn tallied 14 total shots from nine players, eight of which were on shot. That number sets a new season high in conference play.

Haddock was named player of the game for her efforts. With one goal and an assist she helped lead the Tigers to victory in her home state.

“This was a game we really needed and it’s a huge confidence boost,” Haddock said. “We’re going to look to keep the streak going on Sunday.”

The Tigers now set their sights on Mississippi State. They will host the Bulldogs on Sunday at 2 p.m. 

“This was a game we really needed and it’s a huge confidence boost," Craven said. "We’re going to look to keep the streak going on Sunday.”

Share and discuss “Auburn secures first SEC win in Kentucky” on social media.