CADC hosts 34th annual pumpkin carve

On Friday, Auburn’s College of Architecture, Design, and Construction hosted its 34th annual pumpkin carve. Students, faculty, and community members had the chance to gather by Dudley Hall and carve pumpkins, catch up with friends and participate in many other activities planned by the college.

The pumpkin carve acts as a fundraiser for the college, going towards scholarships, events and other student needs.

Molly Campbell, fifth-year in architecture, and Shanna Fortier, sophomore in architecture, co-chaired the event. Campbell and Fortier planned the event for 10 weeks along with their peers. The process involved gaining local sponsors and coordinating with volunteers.

“We really expanded this event to not just be architecture students but campus-wide,” said Campbell. “We have raffles this year, pumpkin carving contests, scavenger hunts, [and] different student organizations having tables, so it’s been a really big event.”

Various tables sold pumpkin pies and student-made goods. Architecture companies were also stationed, giving out candy and interacting with the crowd. Students also had the opportunity to team up and participate in fun games.

“They had a scavenger hunt, and we sprinted around Dudley for about 15 minutes. We're very tired, but we're waiting to see the results and we're hoping that was worth it,” said Aaron Decker, sophomore in architecture.

Areas set up around the courtyard allowed anyone to sit and carve a pumpkin. Stations were set up for both gutting and carving. Once they are done, the pumpkins are lit up and put on display to later be judged by CADC faculty and community members. 

After the event, all carved and leftover pumpkins will be available for purchase with a minimum donation of $5.

With the event celebrating its 34th anniversary, it has become a fall tradition for several families in attendance.

“We've been coming to this for several years… we love coming out here, being able to just grab pumpkins and carve and hang out,” said Jessica Lilobeo, sophomore in aviation professional flight.

Even the younger attendees appreciated everything that went into the pumpkin carve.

“I really like it, just seeing all the pumpkins and everyone’s carvings,” said Lilobeo’s daughter, Anna, a student at Auburn Junior High.

CADC faculty and staff were also in attendance. Many were glad for students to have an event to destress during a rough part of the semester.

“The vibe out here is great music was so much fun earlier,”  said Jordan Wade, an administrative assistant for the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture. “We have people showing up in costumes [and] I carved my own pumpkin, a jack-o-lantern with a cutaway to show the jack-o-lantern skull.”

Students were able to relax and enjoy fun activities with friends and colleagues from the college, which was much needed as the semester begins to wind down and enter the final few weeks before Thanksgiving break and finals.

“This is an event that really allows our students to get a good break, get in the season, [and] rest up well for spooky season,” said Olivia Hayes, lead administrator of the School of Architecture, Planning, and Landscape Architecture. “It brings everybody together at a much-needed time in the middle of the semester.”

Diane Pham | News Writer

Diane Pham, freshman in industrial engineering, is a news writer at The Plainsman.

Share and discuss “CADC hosts 34th annual pumpkin carve” on social media.