Pair of Tigers earn SEC honors, affirming volleyball's rise to prominence

Askasha Anderson (#3) and Sarah Morton (#2) celebrate closing the first set against Georgia in match of Auburn and Georgia at Neville Arena on Oct. 9th, 2022

Auburn volleyball earned another pair of weekly awards, with Jackie Barrett being named the SEC Setter of the Week and Akasha Anderson garnering SEC Freshman of the Week recognition. This marks the second time this season both players were named for these respective awards.

The accolades come on the heels of a four-set victory over the Tennessee Lady Volunteers on Friday, where Anderson produced 20 kills, and Barrett found 39 assists and 11 digs for her sixth double-double of the season. The win marked Auburn’s first triumph over the Lady Vols since 2017.

The impressive win improved Auburn's season full of unprecedented success to a 18-2 record, with the Tigers sitting at 7-2 in the SEC for the first time in program history. Auburn‘s seven conference wins are already the most for the program since 2017.

Barrett has head coach Brent Crouch’s attack running smoothly, with the Tigers hitting .270 on the season and a .320 mark on Friday. This marked the seventh occasion that Auburn cleared the .300 mark in a match this season.

Anderson leads an impressive freshmen class for the Tigers, holding team high marks in kills, kills per set, and total attacks and standing second in service aces. Anderson has 20+ kills in each of her last four games, and seven such games on the season overall. 

Auburn’s top four scorers (Anderson, Madison Scheer, Bel Zimmerman, Kendal Kemp) are all first-year players. Kemp and Anderson rank nationally in kills per set and blocks per set (4th and 1st respectively among D-I freshmen).

Crouch and his young roster will get a test this week, hosting No. 14 Florida on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. CST. The game will be aired on the SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Pair of Tigers earn SEC honors, affirming volleyball's rise to prominence” on social media.