ALEA investigating death in APD custody

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

The Auburn Police Department is currently under investigation by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency for the death of an individual in their custody. 

On Nov. 27, 2022, at 2:48 p.m., APD received a complaint of a person exhibiting erratic behavior on Martin Luther King Drive. Officers responded to the call and contacted the 32-year-old male from Auburn.

According to the police report, the man became combative with officers, which ultimately led to a taser being used on him.

After he was detained, EMS, police and fire conducted an assessment of him, during which he lost consciousness and EMS began performing lifesaving measures that included the use of Narcan, a drug commonly used to revive those that have overdosed on opioid narcotics.

The individual was then transported to the East Alabama Medical Center where he was pronounced dead after additional lifesaving measures were performed.

The APD provided no other details about the incident, and requests for comment from the APD and ALEA have not yet been responded to. This story will be updated once more information is made available.

Destini Ambus | Editor-in-Chief

Destini Ambus, senior in journalism, pursuing a minor in sociology is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

dya0003@auburn.edu

@destiniamb 

Share and discuss “ALEA investigating death in APD custody ” on social media.