Defense carries No. 13 Auburn to victory over Northwestern for Cancun title

Chris Moore (5) dances in pregame against Vanderbilt on Feb. 16, 2022 in Auburn, AL

Just one day removed from a season high 56.4% shooting performance, the Tigers were held to 26.0% from the field in a defensive clinic to capture the 2022 Cancun Challenge Championship in a 43-42 win over Northwestern.  

"Our offensive execution leaves a lot to be desired,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “But we showed heart, we showed character, we showed toughness, and we gutted this one out."

Despite the offensive struggles, Auburn was able to lean on returning veterans K.D. Johnson and tournament MVP, Jaylin Williams. Williams matched his point total from Tuesday night’s game with 11 and shot 3-6 from the three-point line. Johnson led the team with 12 points on the night and went 7-7 from the charity stripe.  

"K.D. and Al I thought really played well, and Jaylin Williams made some big, big shots and had some big plays and some big rebounds,” Pearl said. “You need to be able to count on your veterans and that's why we won the game." 

This physical, defensive ball game created foul trouble all around the court. The Tigers had three players with three fouls, all three of Allen Flanigan’s coming in the first half, which led to season high minute totals for Wendell Green with 31 and Williams with 28.  

"To hold Northwestern to 42 points tells you about our effort and our energy, and our defense," Pearl said. "That's got to carry us." 

Johni Broome also earned a spot on the All-Tournament team for his performance.

The Wildcats, like Auburn, struggled on the offensive end. Northwestern was 0-12 during the first half from 3-point range and finished the game 2-24 from the 3-point shot.  

While Auburn’s defense continues to be the staple of the team, out rebounding the Wildcats 44-36 and blocking six shots, the offensive side of the ball is a work in progress. The Tiger’s scored 19 points in the first half, which tied the lowest amount of points Auburn has scored in the first half since the 2018 Round of 32 loss to Clemson. Tonight’s 19 first half points can partly be attributed to Auburn making one field goal in the last 11:55 of the half.

"We got a great stop at the end," Pearl said. "Part of the reason why we play 11 guys is so at the end and at the last possession our guys can be fresh enough to get that stop."  

The Tigers trailed 42-41 with under a minute to go before Green’s steal led to a Flanigan layup with 32 seconds left. Auburn’s defense once again forced a tough shot that Green rebounded with seconds remaining, giving the Tigers the victory and a 6-0 start to the 2022-23 season. It’s only the second time in Pearl’s tenure at Auburn that the Tigers have won their first six games.  

Auburn will make the late-night flight back home before taking on the Saint Louis Billikens in Neville Arena on Sunday. Tipoff is scheduled 2 p.m. CST and will be televised on the SEC Network. 

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Defense carries No. 13 Auburn to victory over Northwestern for Cancun title” on social media.