New Boykin Community Center health center works to provide care throughout Auburn

On Oct. 18, the new Boykin Community Center opened in northwest Auburn. This comes after four years of preparation and construction. The new site was built to help serve underprivileged communities while also offering a valuable learning experience for Auburn students.

The center is a collaboration between the College of Pharmacy and the city of Auburn. The community center will serve a variety of roles, but its dominant focus will be as a pharmacy and primary care location. 

“The idea for the clinic was born out of necessity but also our mission to improve the lives of patients in this area,” said Interim Dean of the Harrison College of Pharmacy Tim Moore.

The primary way the community center will be helping the community is by giving patients a resource closer to home and continuity of medical care with established physicians. Where before patients would go to the ER and see different doctors and not have regular checkups, the community center offers medical care closer to
disadvantaged and a more personal experience for patients in northwest Auburn.  

Along with helping patients and residents of northwest Auburn, the community center will also be assisting Auburn University by supplying a variety of educational and research initiatives.

The community center will be open to several colleges including the Colleges of Education, Human Sciences, Liberal Arts, and Osteopathic Medicine. Students will be involved in processes from data gathering to hands-on medical experience.

While students won't be directly involved with healthcare delivery, such as taking part in medical procedures, they will play a pivotal role within the clinic. These roles will include tasks like new patient screenings, which involve patients' medical history, taking blood pressure and other fundamental healthcare practices.

“This is a great representation of how government, academics, community, healthcare providers and different disciplines all can come around one idea and concept, which is, we need to try to improve access to healthcare in this area," Moore said.

This is a mainstay of Auburn's mission as a land grant university. As a land grant university, Auburn helps provide resources such as the community center for residents of Alabama.

It is yet to be seen how well the clinic provides for and is utilized by Auburn residents. This kind of data will take years to collect, but this clinic will undoubtedly be a unique resource for the Auburn community.

The clinic is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located at 400 Boykin St. 

David Coomer | News Writer

David Coomer, freshman in business administration, is a news writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “New Boykin Community Center health center works to provide care throughout Auburn” on social media.