Auburn RB to enter NFL draft after three seasons at Auburn

<p>Auburn running back Tank Bigsby (4) bursts ahead for a 41-yard touchdown run against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 29, 2022.</p>

Auburn running back Tank Bigsby (4) bursts ahead for a 41-yard touchdown run against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 29, 2022.

After three years at Auburn, star running back Tank Bigsby announced his intention to enter the NFL draft.

The Georgia native had two years of eligibility remaining but announced Monday he would forego his senior season and take his talents to the NFL.

"I valued the opportunity to run out of the tunnel and play in game environments at Jordan-Hare Stadium that was absolutely electrifying that words can't describe," Bigsby said in his announcement on social media. "Shoutout to the Auburn nation and fans for your continuous support. I'm very thankful for my teammates creating moments at Auburn that'll never be forgotten."

Bigbsy committed to Auburn out of high school while at Callaway High School over schools such as the home-state Georgia Bulldogs as well as South Carolina.

Bigsby began his freshman season as a backup to former Auburn RB Shaun Shivers but quickly took control of the starting role after two weeks. Bigsby ran for 146 yards in just his third career game which kickstarted a three-game streak of rushing for over 100 yards.

His freshman season was capped off with a 192-yard rushing performance in a win at Mississippi State which would end up as the star's career high at Auburn.

Bigsby was honored as the SEC Freshman of the Year after rushing for 834 yards in the shortened season due to COVID-19. His 834 yards rushing marked the second most by a freshman at Auburn and was the second-most by a freshman that season in FBS.

The sophomore season for Bigsby was filled with highlights too as the reigning SEC Freshman of the Year ran for 100 yards or more in the first three games of the season. Bigsby ran for 100+ yards two more times that season to bring his total yards rushing to 1,099 yards — marking the first time an Auburn RB ran for more than 1,000 yards since Kerryon Johnson accomplished the feat in 2017.

Bigbsy's senior season was a tale of two halves as the team captain only ran for more than 60 yards just once through the first six games — the season opener against Mercer. But against Ole Miss, a team Bigsby always played well against, Bigsby looked like his old self as he ran for 180 yards.

He ran for over 100 yards two more times after that and brought his season total. Bigsby also scored six touchdowns during the second half of the schedule to reach double-digit rushing touchdowns for the second straight year.

In a program that has generated numerous NFL running backs in its history, Bigsby ranks right there with them in the all-time program records. Bigsby leaves Auburn with the seventh-most yards rushing (2,903) in Auburn history and the eighth-most rushing touchdowns (25).

The first day of the 2023 NFL begins April 27, and the NFL Combine starts Feb. 28 in Indianapolis, Ind.

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn RB to enter NFL draft after three seasons at Auburn” on social media.