Davis named wide receivers coach, completes Freeze's staff

<p>Football and Auburn helmet on the field in Jordan-Hare Stadium against Texas A&amp;M on November 12, 2022.&nbsp;</p>

Football and Auburn helmet on the field in Jordan-Hare Stadium against Texas A&M on November 12, 2022. 

Head coach Hugh Freeze has completed his inaugural staff at Auburn with the announcement of former Auburn Tiger Marcus Davis as the program’s next wide receivers coach. 

Davis was a wide receiver on the Plains from 2013-16, contributing to the 2013 SEC Championship and National Championship appearance season. Davis will serve as the Tigers fifth wide receivers coach in the last four seasons. 

"Marcus has achieved success at every stop of his career, from his time as a player at Auburn to each of his coaching positions," Freeze said. "He is one of the bright young coaches in our business and his knowledge of Auburn, combined with his work ethic, will be a tremendous asset to our program." 

Arriving at a critical time for the Tigers, Davis takes up the role following the early signing period but prior to National Signing Day, which falls of Feb. 1, 2023. Auburn's staff signed 19 on the first day of the signing period and look to continue recruiting to grow that number in February.

Davis signed with the Tigers as a cornerback in Gus Malzahn’s first recruiting class as head coach at Auburn. He quickly changed positions and contributed with 23 caught passes for 217 yards in his true freshman season. 

"This is a great opportunity to return home to Auburn, a place that means so much to me," Davis said. "It's one of those things I don't take for granted and I am very appreciative to coach Freeze for this opportunity. I'm ready to 'work, hard work' and do the little things to help get Auburn back to where it belongs." 

During his four seasons at Auburn, Davis compiled 83 receptions, 650 yards, and three scores, along with being named a team captain prior to his senior season. Davis played in 50 career games with 15 starts and was a part of four bowl teams for the Tigers.

After graduation, Davis stayed at Auburn as an offensive analyst on Malzahn’s staff during the 2018 season. Davis was then promoted to the assistant director of player development and personnel for the 2019 season at Auburn before following offensive coordinator to Kenny Dillingham to Florida State to be a graduate assistant on Mike Norvell’s staff. 

Davis was only in Tallahassee for one season before traveling across the country to be the wide receivers coach at Hawaii for one season before last year’s stop at Georgia Southern as the same role.

Marcus Davis is the final piece, in terms of on-field coaches, of Hugh Freeze’s first staff at Auburn. Davis is joined alongside offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, running backs and associate head coach Carnell Williams, tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua, and offensive line coach Jake Thornton on the offensive side of the ball. 

Defensive coordinator Ron Roberts, defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett, linebackers coach Josh Aldridge, and defensive backs coaches Zac Etheridge and Wesley McGriff make up the defensive side of Freeze’s staff. 

Patrick Bingham | Sports Editor

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Davis named wide receivers coach, completes Freeze's staff” on social media.