Kharyssa Richardson named SEC Freshman of the Week

Following Auburn's win over Florida on Monday night, forward Kharyssa Richardson was named SEC Freshman of the Week. 

Richardson recorded numerous career highs during the game, including points, rebounds and blocks, leading her to her first collegiate double-double, with 15 points and 16 rebounds.

Though she took a hard fall early in the first half, it did not stop Richardson; she kept persevering, playing 36 out of the 40 minutes.

"The fall did take me out a little bit. I hurt my tailbone, but I had to get back and shake it off,” Richardson said.

Richardson's honor was Auburn's second of the season, following Sydney Shaw's weekly award at the end of non-conference play.

Richardson has been a consistent player for the Tigers this season, averaging 7.4 points per game and five rebounds in SEC play. During non-conference play, she averaged 6.2 points with five rebounds.

Having a consistent player like Richardson has been huge for Auburn, since both top scorers, Aicha Coulibaly and Honesty Scott-Grayson, were out for a month combined. Now, with both players back, and Richardson constantly improving, the Tigers have created a three-game SEC win streak, their first in six years.

Auburn (13-8, 3-6) will play the Arkansas Razorbacks (17-7, 4-5 SEC) Sunday in Neville Arena at 2 p.m. CST and will be televised on the SEC Network.

Amanda Davidson | Sports Writer

Amanda Davidson is a sophomore at Auburn, majoring in journalism and minoring in marketing and studio arts. From LaGrange, Ga., she started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @Manny1Davidson

Share and discuss “Kharyssa Richardson named SEC Freshman of the Week” on social media.