Auburn softball to host Plainsman Invite after successful weekend

Auburn softball player Carlee McCondichie (12) in the outfield during game against the UAB Blazers in Jane B. Moore Field on February 22, 2023.

The Auburn Tigers had a very successful last weekend. In the Tiger Invitational, Auburn went 5-0 and outscored its opponents 43-7 in those five games.

Auburn hosted the UAB Blazers on Wednesday. Auburn defeated UAB, 10-1 in an offensive explosion by the Tigers. Auburn made up for a lackluster offensive performance Sunday against Austin Peay, when it scored  five runs in just one inning.

Auburn's only loss of the season so far was to the Pitt Panthers by a single run. Auburn is currently second in the country with 55 strikeouts through the first two weeks of the season.

Auburn will look for another sweep in the Plainsman Invitational. The schools competing in this years Plainsman Invitational are Merrimack, Brown, and North Dakota State. Here is some information about those teams.

Merrimack College Warriors 

Located in Andover, Massachusetts, is one of the newest teams to become a NCAA Division 1 school. Because it is freshly a part of NCAA Division 1, Merrimack will be eligible for all postseason play after this academic season. This is part of the NCAA's transition rule. The Warriors currently compete out of the Northeast Conference. They are currently 0-1 with their only loss coming to Charleston Southern, 3-0. Last season they went 14-28 in the regular season and 10-14 in NEC conference play. This will be the first ever meeting between Auburn and Merrimack. 

Brown University Bears

Located in Providence, Rhode Island, Brown University will be playing its first games of the 2023 season at Jane B. Moore field. The Bears compete in the Ivy League and went 16-25 last season with a 7-14 record in Ivy League play. This will be the first ever meeting between Auburn and Brown. 

North Dakota State University Bison

Located in Fargo, North Dakota, North Dakota State is the final team traveling to Auburn for the Plainsman Invitational. North Dakota State competes out of the Summit League. The Bison are currently 4-6 on the season and fresh off a victory against Cal State Fullerton in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 2-1. They went 30-23 last season and 10-8 in Summit League conference play.

This will be the seventh time Auburn and North Dakota State have faced and the first time since 2019. Auburn defeated North Dakota State, 10-2 in its last meeting. Auburn holds a 5-1 all-time record against the Bison with the Bison's only victory coming in 2014 with a 5-2 victory in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Auburn will play Merrimack Friday at 3 p.m. CST at Jane B. Moore Field. Following this game, the Tigers will play the Brown Bears at 5:30 p.m. CST. 

On Saturday, Auburn will play North Dakota State at 3 p.m. CST and then Merrimack once again at 5:30 p.m. CST. Both of Saturday's games will be televised on SEC Network-plus.

Finally on Sunday, Auburn wraps up the Invitational against North Dakota State at noon.

All games will be played at Jane B. Moore Field this weekend. 

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Auburn softball to host Plainsman Invite after successful weekend” on social media.