Auburn students share bad date stories

Movies like "The Notebook" show viewers that even if relationships have a rocky start, there is always a possibility something good will come out of a bad date.

"I went on a date with this guy, and I hate scary movies but he wanted to see one," said Savannah Baker, senior in physical therapy. "We saw a movie based on Pennywise. We went and I wasn't scared, but you know it's a first date so I tried to act scared." 

Baker decided she would put on a show.

“So, I end up putting my head on his shoulder to act scared and he petted me like a poodle, like patted my head," Baker said. "Then, we walked out, and we parked in two different places. Meanwhile, he was too scared to walk to his car alone, so I had to walk with him. I had to walk by the gutters because he was scared of the movie we just saw. Then he tried to kiss me and he kissed me like a fish." 

The guy ended up texting her the next day, telling Baker that he had nightmares while she wasn't scared from the movie. 

"He ended up calling me a wimp and that was it," Baker said. 

Dylan Tether, junior in engineering said, “One time I went on a first date with a girl, and when I went to kiss her, I ended up missing her mouth twice. Not my proudest moment.. I went home very sad and very embarrassed.”

William Stewart, sophomore in accounting said, “There was this one time I was watching Survivor with this girl, and she used the internet to spoil the whole season. We are still dating to this day. At the time it might’ve been a little annoying, but looking back at it, the moment was just silly.”

There are a lot of people who have expressed that they hate moments where their girlfriend, friend, or family member have spoiled TV shows and movies. It is a lot of people’s pet peeves. 

Anna Beth, freshman in elementary education said, “I went on a date to a Chinese restaurant with a vet student who lived in a mechanic’s garage. During the date her brother showed up and told me about how he was going to school to become an actor. He then tried to race me, and his engine blew up before I even started my car.” 

Mary Grace McDonald, junior in public relations said, “I haven’t been on a terrible date, but one time during this guy and I’s first date he ended up doing a back flip in the middle of our conversation. It was so weird.”

People get themselves in situations where dates just end up being odd, and that was the case with both Beth and McDonald’s dates. 

Graham Day, junior in mechanical engineering said, “One time this girl ghosted me, hit me for a second chance, we made out in her car, and she blocked me the next day and moved to Ohio.”

Sam Howard, junior in biomedical sciences said, “There was one time I was dating a girl and I took her to a steakhouse and she just started crying because apparently I'd took too long to give her what she was asking for.”

Macey Jackson, freshman in agriculture said, “My first date was when I saw Star Wars Episode 7 for the second time, but when I came home, I found out my great grandmother died while I was in the theater.”

There are stories that are unfortunate too, sometimes unfortunately silly or funny, like Day's, Howard's, and Jackson's.

Kacie Langley, junior in nursing said, “Honestly the only ‘bad date’ I’ve been on was with an ex on Valentine’s Day. He waited until the last minute to plan anything but hyped it up like he had made a big deal/plans. Turns out, he had to work really late and we missed our last minute reservations. The only place open at that point was Applebee’s. There were a bunch of weird loud people and there was hair in our food. We also fought the whole time.”

Langley was really looking forward to that date and it disappointed her.

Katie Ferguson, freshman majoring in nursing said, “So, I had met this guy through Tinder, we talked for a while, and planned on meeting. He made a big talk about how he didn’t want me to drive to him because he lived an hour away and said that he was going to drive to me.” 

This guy lived quite a distance away.

“The day comes, and an hour before we were supposed to meet, he asked if I can just drive to him instead. So, like an idiot, I said yes but agreed to meet him halfway instead. I got in his car and the rest of the ride to his house he was blaring music and chasing people on the highway," Ferguson said.

“We sat down to watch a movie once we got there, and for the entire duration of the movie, he continually paused it to talk about nonsense.” Ferguson said getting annoyed. 

“At the end of the movie, he started talking about the frat he was in that he got dropped out of and proceeded to recite to me the entire Greek alphabet,” said Ferguson.

By this time, Ferguson wanted to leave. 

“It took me an hour to convince him to take me to my car, and I had to drive the rest of the way home at midnight because he essentially held me hostage to talk about his fraternity,” Ferguson said.

Lily Bowen, senior in graphic design said, “There was this one time where I was going to a football game with my small group and this guy that I was talking to basically intruded.” 

The guy just came in and joined Bowen without question. 

“He insisted that we hang out then, but I really did not want to. I only wanted to hang out with my small group girls during that time,” Bowen said.

Bowen did want to only hang out with her small group because all the girls are seniors and their days are limited. They wanted to spend that football game with only each other. 

“He basically ruined the entire game because of the way he acted. He was so obnoxious throughout the entire day. First, after every good thing the other team did, he would scream hatred language,” Bowen said. Hatred language means cuss words. 

“During the half time show when there were little kids performing and people playing bag pipes, he was laughing the whole time,” Bowen said. 

That halftime show was trying to give off some important message regarding the military and the guy was laughing at it all. 

“All throughout the game, he couldn’t stop stating the fact that he wanted to get wasted, that alcohol would help him “not be freezing”. Those are some examples, and oh, also he ended up ditching midway through the 3rd quarter without giving an explanation. He ended up not apologizing …Overall, I would consider that a 'bad date',” said Bowen.

No matter what story comes of it, for many Auburn students, a bad date is a universal experience. 

Share and discuss “Auburn students share bad date stories” on social media.