Ellis earns first SEC Player of the Week honor

For the first time in her career, Bri Ellis earned the SEC Player of the Week honor.

Ellis held down the clean-up spot in the lineup this week, going 10-for-14 in six games. The sophomore slugged four of those for home runs and had a .714 batting average to go with a 1.786 slugging percentage. Ellis also led the team with 11 RBIs.

The first baseman also shined in the field, as Ellis kept up a perfect fielding percentage converting 31 putouts in 31 chances.

The Texas native has been an integral part of Auburn’s 2023 campaign, starting all 16 games. On the season, Ellis leads the team with 20 RBIs, a .974 slugging percentage and a 1.527 OPS. She also shares the team lead for home runs with five.

She currently ranks 12th in program history with 25 career home runs. Though it was her first SEC Player of the Week award, she earned SEC Freshman of the Week three times last season. 

Ellis and the Tigers hit the road to take on the Troy Trojans at 6 p.m. CST on Wednesday. They return home this weekend to host the second Jane B. Moore Memorial Tournament. On Friday, Auburn will face Bowling Green and South Alabama in a doubleheader that begins at 3 p.m. CST.

Chase Black | Sports Writer

Chase Black is a senior majoring in English education and minoring in sport communication. From Georgiana, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @chaseblack334

Share and discuss “Ellis earns first SEC Player of the Week honor” on social media.