Ike Irish named SEC Freshman of the Week for second time

Auburn catcher Ike Irish (18) runs for first base in a home opener against Indiana in Plainsman Park on Feb. 17, 2023.

The young freshman Ike Irish is taking the league by storm. Irish has had an electric two weeks on the Plains, being named SEC Freshman of the Week not once, but twice. He continues to break his own season-highs in each game. 

This week, the young catcher led all SEC players with 11 hits in four games. 

On Tuesday, he had three hits and two runs with a .563 batting average against North Alabama. In the USC series, Irish had three runs, a double, triple and two RBIs, finishing with a .615 batting average. He didn’t strike out this week and has only struck out once in seven games. 

Passing Bryson Ware, Irish leads the team in batting average at .586, hitting 17-for-29 in the batter’s box. His hit tally also leads the team with 17 hits.

The Michigan native is not only leading the Tigers’ offense, but he is also leading in the NCAA. 

In batting average, Irish ranks second nationally behind Pacific’s Rylan Evans. He is also ranked fourth with 17 hits and ranked 33rd in doubles with four.

Irish and No. 13 Auburn (5-1-1) return to action on Wednesday at 6 p.m. CST against Florida A&M (2-6). 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Ike Irish named SEC Freshman of the Week for second time” on social media.