Suni Lee snags third SEC Gymnast of the Week honor of the season

Sunisa Lee vs Arkansas at Neville Arena 1/20/23

Sophomore Suni Lee was awarded her third SEC Gymnast of the Week honor this season on Tuesday, Feb. 7, after recording two perfect 10s in last Friday’s meet against No. 11 Alabama. 

Along with those two perfect 10s on bars and beams, Lee also collected a 9.900 on vault to finish second in that event in the meet and a floor score of 9.925 to tie for third place. These scores totalled up for an all-around score of 39.825, which ties the highest score in the 2023 season by any NCAA gymnast. 

With that 39.825, Lee helped lead the team to a 197.700 in Tuscaloosa, which marks a  season-high and is the first score over 197 by the Auburn Tigers in Coleman Coliseum. 

It was Lee's first meet to finish with multiple perfect scores. Those scores from last week were also good enough to bump Lee over Florida superstar Trinity Thomas to be the nation’s leader in the all-around and put Auburn back in the top five rankings at No. 5. 

Alongside Lee, the other awardees are Florida’s Kayla DiCello (Freshman of the Week) and LSU’s K.J. Johnson (Specialist of the Week). 

Johnson and LSU will travel to face Lee and the Tigers this Friday, Feb. 10, in Neville Arena for a top-10 showdown at 7:30 p.m. CST. Against LSU last season, Lee scored her first ever collegiate 10 on bars on the road against the Bayou Bengals, the team's first since 2004.

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Suni Lee snags third SEC Gymnast of the Week honor of the season” on social media.