Tigers still on the hunt to secure a winning season heading into Athens

Auburn guard Sania Wells (#2) drives to the basket against Texas A&M on February 16, 2023 in Neville Arena.

Auburn returns to action on Thursday, as the Tigers travel to Athens, Georgia, to take on the Georgia Bulldogs. As the season rounds to a close, the Tigers are left with two more opportunities to achieve their first winning season since 2018.

In its most recent matchup, Auburn fell short of stealing a win in Knoxville, Tennessee, against the Tennessee Volunteers. The loss marked the Tigers’ fourth in five games.

Georgia finds itself on the other side of the coin. The Bulldogs are winners of four straight games. A victory in this matchup could result in a rise in their conference ranking, as fourth through seventh place are separated by one game.

The Tigers were the victor in their previous matchup with the Bulldogs last season. The win over the No. 21 Bulldogs marked the Tigers' second time defeating a ranked opponent that season. The Tiger defense played a key role in this matchup, holding the Bulldogs to 38.6% field goal percentage overall and limiting Georgia to six fourth-quarter points on 18.8% shooting. Additionally, the Bulldogs committed 21 turnovers.

For the Tigers to win, this pattern will need to hold in the upcoming matchup. In their last three victories, the Tigers’ opposition has committed 19 turnovers, with Auburn scoring around 22 points off their opponents’ miscues.

The Tigers' defense has played a vital role in their victories, holding opponents to 36.6% shooting from the field and 31.8% from deep in their last three wins. The Tigers’ defensive prowess extends to blocks as well — averaging 4.9 per game which ranks 20th nationally.

Aicha Coulibaly and Honesty Scott-Grayson will play a key factor in this aspect of the game. The duo averages 2.2 and two steals per game, respectively — both ranking in the top 10 of the conference.

The Bulldogs are no stranger to defense. The team’s 10.9 steals per game ranks first in the conference. Alisha Lewis and Diamond Battles lead the Bulldogs in this category with both averaging 1.8 steals per game and ranking within the top 15 in the conference in that category.

On the season they are forcing their opposition to 20.7 turnovers per game — ranking 16th nationally in this category. The Bulldogs also do an efficient job of halting offensive production. On the season they are holding their opposition to 37.8% shooting from the field and 31.3% from three.

On the offensive end, the Bulldogs will likely lean on the offensive efforts of Battles and Brittney Smith, who are averaging 14.0 and 11.9 points per game, respectively. The Bulldogs have other capable scorers such as Audrey Warren, who led the team in scoring in their most recent game with 14 points.

The Bulldogs shoot 44% from the field but their long-range shooting may be a weak point. Georgia currently shoots 29.4% from deep, averaging 3.4 made threes a game. This could play to the aid of the Tigers who could place defensive emphasis on the midrange and painted areas to force the Bulldogs to beat them from beyond the arc. 

Along with the offensive efforts of Coulibaly and Scott-Grayson, who average 16.4 and 13 points per game respectively, Kharyssa Richardson is a player to watch for. Richardson is contributing 10 points per game in her last three contests including a team-high 15 points against Alabama.

In a matchup that features capable defenses the turnover battle will likely be a key factor in the outcome of this game. Ball security and efficient offensive possession will be of the utmost importance.

The game between Auburn and Georgia will tip off Thursday at 6 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on SEC Network plus.

Share and discuss “Tigers still on the hunt to secure a winning season heading into Athens” on social media.