Trend of road heartbreak continues for Auburn: Tigers fall at Vanderbilt

<p>Auburn center guard Chris Moore (5) draws contact from a Winthrop attacker in Neville Arena on Nov. 15, 2022.</p>

Auburn center guard Chris Moore (5) draws contact from a Winthrop attacker in Neville Arena on Nov. 15, 2022.

The theme of late for Auburn has been painfully close losses and missed opportunities — a trend that continued on Saturday at Vanderbilt, as the Commodores’ Ezra Manjon scored a layup with 0.8 seconds remaining, handing the Tigers a 67-65 loss.

For Vanderbilt, it was the second straight home win on an effective buzzer-beater. For Auburn, it was the fifth single-digit loss on the road this season. Each of Auburn’s last four losses has come by eight points or fewer, with its average margin of defeat in the span being 4.5 points.

It was a game where all but two players struggled offensively for the Tigers. Normal high-scorer Wendell Green Jr. shot just 2-for-14 from the field and scored five points, his second straight game in single digits.

“I thought Ezra (Manjon) did a great job on (Green Jr.),” Pearl said. “Did great, got up underneath him, just did a great job defensively on him. Made it really difficult.”

In the first half, Auburn (18-9, 8-6 SEC) relied on Jaylin Williams. Williams had 12 points in the first 20 minutes on a 6-of-8 shooting clip. Williams was one of just four Tigers to score in the first half and at one point, made four straight baskets for the Tigers. Williams finished with 17 points, shooting 8-for-12 in the game.

In the second half, Johni Broome took over the game for the Tigers, especially early in the frame. Broome, who ended with a team-high 20 points, scored 13 after halftime. The sophomore came up four rebounds shy of a double-double and made eight of his 15 shots.

“I thought (Williams and Broome) were terrific,” Pearl said. “They shot a great percentage. Jaylin’s 8-for-12 and Johni is 8-for-15…Did a great job. Would liked to have gotten it in there to (Williams) more.”

While Williams and Broome had offensive success, Vanderbilt’s Liam Robbins terrorized the Tigers. Robbins scored 24 points, 17 of which came from the free-throw line. Robbins had a double-double, gaining 12 rebounds, eight of which were offensive. Vanderbilt did not have another player reach double digits in scoring.

Vanderbilt (15-12, 8-6 SEC) had a significant advantage in free-throw attempts. The Commodores attempted 26 foul shots, making 20 of them. Auburn was given just 10 free-throw attempts and converted five. The Tigers did not reach the bonus in the second half. Robbins himself doubled Auburn in free-throw attempts.

“To win at the end, you have to get stops, and you have to get to the foul line,” Pearl said. “We never even got to the bonus in the second half.”

The foul disparity came despite the Tigers outscoring the Commodores 40-22 in the paint.

“There really isn’t much of an explanation for (the free-throw disparity),” Pearl said.

Vanderbilt came into the game averaging 71.4 points per contest, but was held to 67 by the Tigers. The Commodores averaged 25 field goal makes each game, but had just 20.

“Thought we played well enough defensively,” Pearl said. “(We) hold Vanderbilt to six below their numbers at home. Hold them to 20 field goals, so I’m not sure if Vanderbilt has won a game where they’ve had only 20 field goals.”

Indeed, it was Vanderbilt’s first win this season when being held to 20 or fewer field goals.

Four games remain in the regular season — each now with increased importance for Auburn’s postseason fate. The Tigers and Commodores now own equal SEC records, placing Auburn at sixth in the SEC standings through 14 games.

The Tigers will begin the four-game sprint to the finish on Wednesday when they host Ole Miss — a team they have already defeated once this season. Tip-off from Neville Arena will be at 8 p.m. CST with television coverage by the SEC Network.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Trend of road heartbreak continues for Auburn: Tigers fall at Vanderbilt” on social media.