Auburn announces new chief communications officer

<p>Richard Campbell is Auburn University's inaugural chief communications officer.</p>

Richard Campbell is Auburn University's inaugural chief communications officer.

On Feb. 28, Auburn University announced the hiring of Richard Campbell as their inaugural chief communications officer. Campbell's term will begin on May 1, 2023.

Campbell is currently employed at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro as the vice chancellor for strategic communications, a position he has held since December 2021. Prior to this, Campbell worked as the CCO for North Carolina State University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

While at UNC Greensboro, Campbell also worked in executive and crisis communication, which a statement from Auburn said he will continue to assist in.

In total, Campbell has over 25 years of experience in communications and public relations. In a statement from the university, it stated that Campbell will "provide the strategic vision for the university's internal and external communication functions while overseeing key areas, including public affairs, issues management and community relations."

Before joining NC State's and UNC Greensboro's staff, Campbell also served as the president of Carolina Broadcasting and Publishing. While serving in this position, Campbell worked in public relations with North Carolina-based associations and trade groups.

Aside from his work in higher education, Auburn's statement said Campbell also worked for non-profits and corporations, including United Way of The Great Triangle in Raleigh, North Carolina, and SouthBridge.

Tucker Massey | Content Editor

Tucker Massey, junior in journalism, is the content editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn announces new chief communications officer” on social media.