Auburn equestrian team wins fifth-consecutive SEC Championship

<p>Auburn celebrates it’s fifth-straight Southeastern Conference Equestrian Championship</p>

Auburn celebrates it’s fifth-straight Southeastern Conference Equestrian Championship

The Auburn equestrian team made it five-straight Southeastern Conference titles Saturday afternoon and its sixth in the past eight years. The No. 1 seeded Tigers took down No. 2 seed Texas A&M by a score of 13-6 at the one and only One Wood Farm in Blythewood, South Carolina. 

Coach Greg Williams couldn’t contain how proud he was about his team’s capture of the SEC title in his postgame press conference. 

“This team is unbelievable," Williams said. “They brought the energy today and it was just another special championship for our team. To win five straight is remarkable and I’m so proud of all the hard work and effort that went in to win today.” 

Two veterans in seniors Emma Kurtz and Olivia Tordoff both expressed where their emotions were after winning the championship. 

“With this season being my last, it’s really been an emotional ride,” Kurtz said. “To know that the work we’ve put in has paid off is one of the most incredible feelings in the world. I’m so proud of this team for buying into the program and I’m so thankful for our coaches who push us to be better every day.” 

Tordoff echoed the same thing

“It means the world to win another championship with this team,” Tordoff said. “I wholeheartedly believe the SEC is the hardest conference and to win in this conference truly means more. Seeing this group come together the way we did today is something really special. This win is for those who paved the way before us and for the next group to be a part of this team.” 

Tordoff had the honor of being selected to the SEC All-Championship team for Horsemanship after going 2-0-0. In the Jumping seat action for the Tigers (11-2), three of them went undefeated in senior Ava Stearns, junior Ellie Ferrigno and Kurtz. 

The Jumping seat corps dominated from start to finish, going 8-1-1 in fences and flat. Kurtz and Ferrigno won Most Outstanding Performances between the two events, while in Horsemanship junior Madison Parduhn won MOP of the season. 

“Our Jumping Seat squad really came out today,” Williams said. “They went at it hard and took it to them. And the Western side had a great showing as well. I have two of the best position coaches in the business in Jessica Braswell and Taylor Searles. This team earned them today and wouldn’t be as successful without them.” 

The Tigers look to follow their SEC Championship with a 2023 NCEA Championship in Ocala, Florida. The meet will be held within three days at the World Equestrian Center from April 13-15. Auburn will once again be the host of the event. 

The scores of events from the SEC Equestrian championships are listed below. 

#1 SEED AUBURN 13, #2 SEED TEXAS A&M 6 

FENCES 

Emma Kurtz (AU)* def. Haley Redifer (TAMU), 263-235 

Sophee Steckbeck (AU) def. Devon Thomas (TAMU), 246-230 

Ellie Ferrigno (AU) def. Alexa Leong (TAMU), 245-234 

Mary-Grace Segars (AU) tied Morgan Rosia (TAMU), 242-242 

Ava Stearns (AU) def. Brooke Brombach (TAMU), 246-245 

FLAT 

Ellie Ferrigno (AU) def. Rylee Schufelt (TAMU), 250-0 

Emma Kurtz (AU) def. Maggie Nealon (TAMU), 252-248 

Mary-Grace Segars (AU) def. Brooke Brombach (TAMU), 240-233 

Ava Stearns (AU) def. Devon Thomas (TAMU), 239-228 

Devan Thomas (TAMU) def. Sophee Steckbeck (AU), 215-200 

HORSEMANSHIP
Cori Cansdale (TAMU) def. Maddie Spak (AU), 225-211.5 

Olivia Tordoff (AU) def. Ella Petak (TAMU), 225.5-207 

Hanna Olaussen (TAMU) def. Alexia Tordoff (AU), 225-216 

Madison Parduhn (AU) def. Ellie Gerbrandt (TAMU), 216-205 

Caroline Fredenburg (AU) def. Alexis Robinson (TAMU), 223.5-221 

REINING 

Caroline Buchanan (AU) def. Lisa Bricker (TAMU), 208.5-206.5 

Emmy Lu Marsh (TAMU) def. Alexia Tordoff (AU), 206-203 

Lauren Hanson (TAMU) def. Kate Buchanan (AU), 203.5-202.5 

Isabella Tesmer (AU) def. Ariana Gray (TAMU), 190.5-0 

Keesa Luers (TAMU) def. Olivia Marino (AU), 208.5-202.5 

William Halliday | Sports Writer

William Halliday started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. He is a journalism major from Memphis, Tennessee.

Twitter: @wphalliday3

Share and discuss “Auburn equestrian team wins fifth-consecutive SEC Championship” on social media.