Auburn freshman to enter transfer portal

Auburn forward Yohan Traore (21) points to the sky after scoring a bucket against Colgate in Neville Arena on Dec. 2, 2022.

One of Auburn's top young players declared their intention to leave Auburn on Tuesday as Yohan Traore announced on social media he would enter the transfer portal after one year on the Plains.

Traore was one of the best players in the country in high school during his time at Dream City Christian out of Glendale, Arizona. The Napa, California, native was a five star on most recruiting sites. 247Sports ranked him the 24th best overall player in the class of 2022.

He was previously committed to LSU but decommitted from LSU after the firing of head coach Will Wade.

Auburn fans were excited to land his commitment to play on the Plains. However, due to being a young big man behind two veteran players in Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams, Traore had trouble finding playing time.

He struggled to get minutes, only averaging 9.9 minutes per game while averaging 2.1 points per game.

After the season, it seemed that there would be some roster movement. This is one of the first dominoes to fall.

If Traore would like to return closer to his hometown of Napa, then he has plenty of schools to choose from on the West Coast.

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Auburn freshman to enter transfer portal” on social media.