Auburn shines through rain delay in 7-3 victory over Lipscomb

Auburn picked up its seventh win of the season and sixth win at home, 7-3, against Lipscomb after dealing with a 45-minute rain delay in the win Friday night. 

Despite the delay, Auburn was able to start strong as it put a run on the board after a double from Kason Howell and an RBI single from Cole Foster. 

The first inning would not be the only time Howell doubled Friday night, as he proceeded to provide power from the leadoff spot, hitting two more doubles on the night. 

“In the leadoff spot, you're always trying to create momentum for the offense,” Howell said. “We got so many good guys behind us just getting on base and letting those guys work behind you. That’s really the most important thing and just trying not to let that starter get settled in.” 

Friday's game marked the 200th of Howell's career, and he was able to deliver as he recorded three doubles and two RBIs while going 3-for-5 at the plate.

“I told people I wasn’t thinking about it,” Howell said. ”But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about it a little bit.” 

Despite a slower start after the first inning, the offense tacked on seven runs with 11 hits. The Tigers saw seven batters tally a hit with every starter reaching base. 

In his first-ever start, freshman Chris Stanfield contributed to the Tigers' offense going 2-for-4 at the plate with a single and double that went high off the left-field wall to score two runs. 

“I was definitely excited knowing I was getting that start. I’ve been putting work in and really just trying to help wherever I can,” Stanfield said. “I knew I was getting it, and I was just trying to help us win, do everything I can.” 

The mound played a significant role in the victory as the Tigers recorded 14 strikeouts in back-to-back games, tying their season high. 

Tanner Bauman started the game, striking out five batters in 16 batters faced, and allowed four hits and one run in 3.2 innings of work. 

Bauman was pulled in the third inning after allowing the Bisons to hit a home run and get a run across the board, tying the game 1-1. 

Armstrong entered the game and pitched 2.1 innings, striking out another four batters of his own in nine batters faced. Armstrong was awarded the win, bringing his record to 3-0 on the season. 

Chase Allsup entered the game and immediately struck out the first three batters he faced in the seventh inning, topping out at 97 miles per hour on his fastball. He pitched three innings — allowing one hit, one run, two walks and recording five strikeouts on his way to earning a save. 

"I think we had 14 strikeouts, and I thought the guys that pitched for us tonight absolutely made them earn it,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “They were solos. They weren’t packaged with a couple of walks and turn into three-run homers.” 

The Tigers gave up three runs, all coming from solo home runs with seven hits and only walking three batters on the night. 

The Auburn Tigers will play game two of the three-game series Saturday, Mar. 4. The opening pitch will be at  4. p.m CST. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn shines through rain delay in 7-3 victory over Lipscomb” on social media.