Out with the old businesses, in with the new

On daily walks to class or a drive to Taco Mama, students may have noticed many orange cones and scaffolding blocking roads and sidewalks. While this may slow people down and cause some frustration, there is no need to worry. These are the signs of new businesses popping up all over North College Street: home to many popular restaurants, boutiques and nightlife.

Most of the new businesses are of restaurants. For example, Auburn is welcoming Mochiatsu, Staks, and Jack Brown’s.

The Auburn community may remember the new Mochiatsu location previously being an Indian restaurant called Good Karma. This restaurant chain has 11 locations, and one is being added to the city of Auburn. Families and friends are able to enjoy authentic Korean cuisine at this storefront. This unique restaurant features mochi donuts, Korean hot dogs, and boba tea. 

While this could be a new go-to lunch and dinner restaurant, Staks is moving in to provide breakfast needs.

Staks is a breakfast and brunch chain from Tennessee. This new location in Auburn will be their debut to Alabama. 

Staks has a stacked menu that boasts a vast array of pancakes, classic southern specialties, and cocktails. It is coming very soon as they are projected to open sometime this spring. 

If pancakes and hot dogs don’t satisfy one's hunger, people make their way to the new burger chain called Jack Brown’s.

Students from the Birmingham area are likely to be familiar with this restaurant. While Jack Brown’s does have a location in the Magic City, they also have 20 other locations all over the United States. 

Jack Brown’s is a burger and craft beer joint. Every burger is made from 100% natural American Wagyu beef from the great state of Idaho.

Their menu has gained much acclaim and many awards. Some of their most popular burgers include the Cobra Kai, a cream cheese and pepper jelly burger, and even a burger topped with macaroni and cheese. Out with the old burger joint, and in with the new Jack Brown’s. 

Welcome The Saloon into town with a loud “yeehaw!” This downtown bar includes Tex-Mex cuisine, daiquiris, and other popular food items. 

It has recently opened its doors and has begun to welcome in the Auburn family. While Auburn boasts many unique dining experiences, there are also new retail destinations coming to downtown as well.

Auburn has hit the bullseye with this popular retail and grocery store, Target. Target will soon only be a stone's throw away from campus. Pick up a reasonably priced gameday outfit or on the way home or grab those grocery items that were forgotten. Not only will this building house groceries and merchandise, but also students. The two floors above Target are being transformed into an apartment complex for future students. 

While the city of Auburn may be known for its football team, the local businesses and eateries are bringing more renown to the city. There are many new businesses coming to downtown Auburn this spring.

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Out with the old businesses, in with the new” on social media.