Self-Care Saturdays at the Jule Collins Smith Museum encourage relaxation

<p>Self-Care Saturdays at the Jule Collins Smith Museum encourage relaxation and rejuvenation.</p>

Self-Care Saturdays at the Jule Collins Smith Museum encourage relaxation and rejuvenation.

From time to time, college can take a toll on the well-being of students, and even faculty. 

The Jule Collins Smith Museum is hosting free one-hour events titled "Self-Care Saturdays," to allow time for mindfulness, spirituality and self-reflection. These events are in correlation to the museum's "Invisible Thread" exhibition. 

Randi Evans, the museum's manager of public practice and communication, gave information about the exhibition as well as what to expect from these Saturday morning events.

"Self-Care Saturdays is a series of events that are inspired by our current exhibition, Invisible thread, where a group of artists are exploring themes of religion and spirituality through their work," Evans said. 

Evans explained the past two events in March have led patrons through mediation in the gallery, as well as an opportunity to make their own art in the cafe and journaling sessions. 

Although events have already taken place throughout February as well as three Saturdays in March, there is one more opportunity left this month along with four in April to help alleviate stress. 

On March 18 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., patrons enjoyed yoga with Robin Duke from The Yoga Room. On March 25 at the same time, there will be an Art Wellness Exchange event with Ashley Witherspoon. Witherspoon is a social worker and art facilitator who will lead the group through reflection and ways to integrate self-care into daily life. 

"It's a great way to be with the artwork," Evans said about the self-care yoga session. 

The focus of these events is to allow ways for audiences to engage with artwork and relax and unwind. 

"A big takeaway that I'd like people to have is that the Jule is a space for community, gathering, meeting new people and trying new experiences," Evans said.

The events aim to take away the stressfulness of the week, and promote individual well-being. Specific details are posted within the Auburn University Office of Sustainability's website.

Jennifer Morse, from the Auburn University Office of Sustainability, gave insight into the correlation between the office and Self-Care Saturdays. 

"I would say well-being ties into sustainability, and you can see that through the sustainability compass which we use as a framework: west is for individual wellbeing," Morse said. "That’s the connection to sustainability, and that’s why we have this event on our calendar as a well-being event."

People can reserve a free spot on the museum's website, or the Auburn University Office of Sustainability's website. Come experience an hour of relaxation and mindfulness and alleviate stress in unique ways at The Jule Collins Smith Museum. 

Share and discuss “Self-Care Saturdays at the Jule Collins Smith Museum encourage relaxation” on social media.