Auburn dethrones Bayou Bengals in ninth

The No. 23 Auburn Tigers (32-13, 9-6 SEC) upset the No.13 LSU Tigers (34-10, 7-8 SEC) with a 1-0 win in the ninth inning of the series finale, securing the series. 

The series finale was off to a slow start, with both teams remaining scoreless through eight innings. Both teams’ pitching staffs had strong performances, and their position players minimized mistakes to maintain strong defense from both sides.

“That’s the kind of game where you’re just cheering for the kid in the box because the pitchers on both sides this weekend were lights out,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “It wasn’t like it was bad hitting. It was just phenomenal pitching and defense on both ends. There were a lot of clutch plays from both teams. If you’re not coming to these games, you’re missing out.”

Designated player KK McCrary and catcher Aubrie Lisenby led Auburn’s offense with two hits, each with four at-bats. Following their lead, first baseman Bri Ellis, right fielder Icess Tresvick and center fielder Makayla Packer recorded one hit each. 

Tresvick scored the run that secured the series for the Tigers, thanks to Packer’s single to right field.  

“Right now, I am very excited I pulled through for my team,” Packer said. “Penta was working her butt off, so we knew someone had to step up and have her back. I was just trying to stay focused, stay behind the ball and stay in my legs. It worked out, and we got a huge win that is going to set us up for a successful postseason down the road.”

RHP Maddie Penta started for the Tigers in the pitching circle, pitching 8.2 innings. Allowing four hits and no runs, Penta had a solid performance with seven strikeouts, two walks and one wild pitch. LHP Shelby Lowe relieved Penta in the ninth inning, pitching 0.1 innings. Lowe started her outing with a strikeout and earned the win (4-4). 

“I’m tired but very excited my team pulled through at the end of the game,” Penta said. “You don’t get many pitching duels anymore. My defense really had my back and made some great plays. I wasn’t expecting to get as many strikeouts today because they just don’t strike out, but my defense was right there every time.”

RHP Raelin Chaffin started in the pitching circle for the Bayou Tigers. Allowing three hits and no runs, Chaffin recorded one strikeout, three walks and one wild pitch in three innings. In the fourth, RHP Sydney Berzon took over, pitching 5.2 innings. Berzon had six strikeouts and one walk, allowing four hits and one run. 

Designated player Georgia Clark and second baseman Karli Petty led LSU’s offense with one hit each in three at-bats. In the ninth, center outfielder Ciara Briggs got a hit in her fourth at-bat. Following Briggs, catcher Ali Newland got her first hit of the game in the ninth.  

On Wednesday, Auburn will face the Jacksonville State Gamecocks at 6 p.m. CST before heading on the road to Tuscaloosa to face in-state rival Alabama. The midweek game is available on the SEC Network+.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn dethrones Bayou Bengals in ninth” on social media.