Auburn drops finale, unable to secure series win against No. 2 Florida

Auburn (18-9-1, 3-6 SEC) faced defeat in its last game against No. 2 Florida (24-5, 7-2 SEC), falling 17-8 on Sunday. 

Auburn had an 8-3 lead in the fifth inning, but could not close the game, losing the series two games to one.

Florida was prepared to fight fire with fire and game to the bottom of the inning with an explosive offense. The Gators secured 14 unanswered runs on 10 hits, nine walks and two hit batters. Auburn walked 13 batters in the game.

“We got right where we wanted to,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We built that 8-3 lead and when I saw them run and catch us, just so many freebies to allow them to get back in the ballgame there."

Auburn’s offense hoped to gain an explosive lead like it had done the previous two games but came up empty in its first chance at the plate. 

Florida initiated the scoring in Sunday's game with the bases loaded and two outs with a single to left that brought three Gators home in the first. 

Cooper McMurray, the first baseman for the Tigers, smacked his third homer of the season over the center-field wall, putting Auburn on the scoreboard. After two walks, the tying run was in scoring position, but senior Bobby Pierce lined out to end the inning. 

Auburn had an electric fourth inning and was able to tie things up early on. Senior Nate LaRue singled to left and junior Caden Green secured a two-run home run. With two outs and the bases loaded because of a hit batter, Pierce scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch. 

Senior Bryson Ware snagged his 14th home run of the season, sixth in SEC play, and produced an 8-3 Auburn lead in the fifth. Fifth-year senior Justin Kirby doubled after Ware’s homer, giving Auburn its 10th hit, but Florida’s defense shut down the next 13 Tigers at the plate to end the game. 

Tommy Vail started on the hill for Auburn today and held Florida scoreless and hitless between the second and fourth innings, allowing only one base runner for the Gators in those three innings. 

Chase Isbell came into play for the Tigers at the mound, recording his first out of the sixth and throwing an 0-2 count to Florida’s clean-up hitter, Josh Rivera, before leaving the game with an injury. 

The Gators used this to their advantage and knocked in a pair of runs with bases loaded to once again tie the game. Soon thereafter, the Gators secured the lead as Florida’s star pitcher and designated hitter Jac Caglianone had a two-run single in the bottom of the seventh making the score 12-8 Gators. 

Freshman Hayden Murphy made his SEC debut on the bump for the Tigers in the bottom of the eighth, retiring his first two batters, but lost momentum and let up five runs, including a grand slam, sealing the deal for the Gators. 

“We didn’t throw the ball well, and Florida really started hitting and running away,” Thompson said.

The Tigers return to action in a non-conference game against UAB (9-17, 3-5 C-USA) at the Birmingham Barons’ Regions Field Tuesday at 6 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “Auburn drops finale, unable to secure series win against No. 2 Florida” on social media.