Auburn lands commitment from FIU transfer Denver Jones

January 29, 2022; Auburn, Alabama; Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl greets the crowd after a match between Auburn and Oklahoma in the Auburn Arena.

As Auburn fans prepared for A-Day for football, fans were greeted with a great basketball present.

Denver Jones from Florida International announced he would be transferring back to his home state and play for Auburn. Jones was the No. 2 scorer in Conference USA this past season.

Jones is from New Market, Alabama, with two years of eligibility remaining and looks to compete for a starting spot in his first season at Auburn. 

The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 20.1 points per game on 37% shooting from three-point range. The FIU Panthers out of Miami, had a rough season, going 14-18. It was no question that Jones was the team's best player.

Jones was the nation’s No. 25 scorer last season. This was a big need for Auburn, as at times, the offense would stall out. 

Before playing at FIU, Jones played at Garden City Community College in Kansas. Jones was an All-Region selection during his time there.

Auburn landed Jones over a variety of great programs. He narrowed his list down to six schools just two days ago. These schools were: Alabama, Auburn, DePaul, Florida State, LSU and Oklahoma. 

Jones' commitment marked the first addition for Auburn this offseason. With three players from the 2022-23 team announcing their intention to leave Auburn, head coach Bruce Pearl is likely not done in the transfer portal as the Tigers look to improve on their Round of 32 exit last season.

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Auburn lands commitment from FIU transfer Denver Jones” on social media.