Auburn splits doubleheader with Texas A&M

Auburn was forced to hold a doubleheader on Friday because of expected adverse weather conditions on Saturday. 

The Tigers contained the Aggies to secure their 10-9 win in the first game, but Texas A&M got an early lead and held Auburn to six runs, winning 12-6 in the nightcap. 

“I thought our position players played as hard as they possibly could for two games,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We have to think about what’s the one thing we can do to make things better from a pitching standpoint. We have to start making some strides quickly.”

The Tigers struggled on the mound. In both games, Auburn’s pitching staff recorded a combined 25 walks and five wild pitches, going through five pitchers in each game. 

“It’s SEC play, and that always means a little bit more. But it means more to their development for sure,” Thompson said.

In game one, Auburn’s offense was electric. 

Cooper McMurray paved the way with two runs and two hits, both home runs, as well as four RBIs. Chris Stanfield trailed behind with two runs, two hits, a double and two RBIs. Kason Howell recorded two runs, one hit and one double. 

On the mound for game one, Tommy Vail started the doubleheader with two strikeouts, four walks and five earned runs before Christian Herberholz took over, pitching 2.1 innings. 

John Armstrong (6-1) got the win, recording five strikeouts and three walks in 2.1 innings and Parker Carlson earned his first save, recording the final two outs. 

Game two was a different story for the Tigers. Auburn struggled to find momentum throughout the series finale. 

The Aggies gained an early lead with three runs in the first and four in the second. Tommy Sheehan (0-1) started on the mound and earned his first season loss, allowing three runs. 

The veterans led Auburn’s offense in game two. Bryson Ware had one run, one hit and one RBI. Howell followed Ware’s lead, recording one run, two hits and a double with one RBI. Bobby Peirce had two runs and one hit. 

Several of Auburn’s freshmen pitchers had some successful pitches, but their inexperience showed during game two. 

“We still got young guys that are trying to get comfortable out there, getting outings that’ll grab at some point," Thompson said. "So, you know, I’ve said time and time again, long term, I feel good, but we have to absolutely accept where we’re at.”

Trevor Horne recorded one strikeout, while allowing three walks, four earned runs and three hits in one inning. 

Hayden Murphy held his longest outing on the mound, pitching three innings. The Georgia native had one strikeout, one walk and three earned runs with two wild pitches. 

Drew Nelson relieved Murphy in the fifth. Allowing no hits or runs, the Troy, Alabama native had two strikeouts, three walks and no earned runs in 2.1 innings. 

Zach Crotchfelt had no strikeouts, one walk and no earned runs, allowing one unearned run and two hits in one inning. 

Heading back on the road, Auburn will face Georgia Tech (19-13, 7-8 ACC) in Atlanta for a midweek game on Tuesday at 5 p.m. CST.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn splits doubleheader with Texas A&M” on social media.