No. 17 Tigers no-hit in game two loss to South Carolina

After a shutout win to secure game one of the series against South Carolina on Friday, No. 17 Auburn lost game two 8-0 in five innings to even the series on Saturday.

The South Carolina bats got hot at the most opportune time in the win, blasting two home runs that plated five of the Gamecocks' eight runs. Catcher Guilia Desiderio had a productive day at the plate, going 2-for-2 with a home run and five RBIs. 

South Carolina pitcher Donnie Gobourne was the star of the game today, no-hitting the Tigers and only allowing two baserunners the entire game to hinder a perfect game. Gobourne's ninth win of the season came with seven strikeouts, one walk and one hit batter. 

The Auburn bats were cold from the start. The Tigers broke up Gobourne’s perfect game with a walk by senior Carlee McCondichie in the top of the third inning, but she was left stranded to end the half inning. Sophomore Bri Ellis also reached by a hit-by-pitch with two outs in the top of the fourth inning but was also left stranded. 

It was a pitchers’ duel between Gobourne and Auburn’s Annabelle Widra until the bottom of the fourth inning when a Gamecock ground-rule double broke up the no-hit game. After an intentional walk with no outs to put runners on first and second, the first South Carolina home run put the Gamecocks up 4-0.

Widra exited the game in the same frame, ending her night with two hits, four runs, three earned runs, five strikeouts and three walks. Freshman Emma Rolfe entered the game in relief but eventually gave up the second Gamecock home run in the bottom of the fifth and then the walk-off single by Desiderio that plated two runs and ended the game. 

The Tigers will look to take the series in the Sunday rubber match on Sunday at 12 p.m. CST which will be streamed on SEC Network+. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “No. 17 Tigers no-hit in game two loss to South Carolina” on social media.