Auburn softball to travel to Clemson for NCAA Regional

For the 18th time in program history, Auburn softball has been selected for the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers will participate in the Clemson Regional, hosted by the 16-seed Clemson Tigers. It is Auburn's second straight trip to Clemson for the regionals.

In addition to the two Tiger teams, Cal State Fullerton and UNC Greensboro will also travel to McWhorter Stadium to open the double-elimination regional. Auburn will open play against Cal State Fullerton on Friday. The Titans have a record of 33-19 and were selected as an at-large team out of the Big West Conference.

Meanwhile, host Clemson and UNC Greensboro face off on Friday. Clemson, the No. 16 national seed, had a record of 46-9, while the Spartans had a record of 37-20 and won the Southern Conference's automatic bid.

Auburn fell to Clemson 1-0 in last year's regional in the teams' only meeting and has a 1-2 all-time record against Cal State Fullerton with the last meeting in 2015. The Tigers have never faced UNC Greensboro.

The winner of the Clemson Regional will earn the right to face the winner of the Norman Regional, hosted by No. 1 national seed Oklahoma, in the Super Regionals. Five SEC teams were chosen as regional hosts but Auburn, which finished third in the SEC standings, just missed the cut to hold a regional on the Plains.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn softball to travel to Clemson for NCAA Regional” on social media.