Auburn traditions that freshmen need to know

<p>Nova flies around the stadium, a pregame tradition, before Auburn's last home football game on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Nova flies around the stadium, a pregame tradition, before Auburn's last home football game on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 in Auburn, Ala. 

Auburn University has developed a unique culture full of memorable sayings, pregame celebrations and postgame celebrations. Students are quickly immersed into it the second they show their support for the Tigers. They are met with a smile and a “War Eagle.” For freshmen or new students though, they may not be as familiar with these traditions and could be confused at first.

First, a typical greeting or phrase students hear is “War Eagle.” Hearing that phrase can mean anything and can occur anywhere. It could mean “hello,” “good game,” or just to show they are an Auburn fan too. Sophomore psychology student Mazie Schaill from Pensacola, Florida, shared that she “didn’t know what to do” when she first heard the phrase. 

“I was wearing an Auburn sweatshirt and some person just told me ‘war eagle’ and I replied with ‘thank you.’ I just didn’t know what to do before I came here,” Schaill said.

The correct response to “War Eagle” would be to say it back, just like if someone says hello.

In addition to this greeting, Auburn’s language expands with the popular cheer “Bodda Getta.” The cheer is done almost every sporting event, and a common question is “what are they saying?” It is one of the most popular and exciting cheers. Its origin is confusing. Some say it was a band cheer, while others believe it started with former head football coach Pat Dye, but regardless, it is a crucial part of Auburn tradition.

Regarding pregame celebrations and why fans even say “war eagle” before every home football game, an eagle soars around the stadium as the fans circle their shakers until it lands and exclaim “hey!”  

In 1892, at an Auburn vs Georgia game, a Civil War veteran brought an eagle he found on the battlefield. The eagle suddenly took flight during the game and as it circled the stadium, Auburn created a winning drive down the field to beat the Bulldogs. The “War Eagle” rallied Auburn and led the Tigers to victory. Just like the 1892 game, an eagle circles and people yell the famous chant. However, the eagle is not Auburn’s mascot — saying “War Eagle” is a “battle cry” according to the university. 

After a game where the Tigers win, fans walk over to Toomer’s Corner, across from Toomer’s Drugs and next to Biggin Hall, and roll the trees with toilet paper. This tradition began because of Toomer’s drugs. They would receive score updates through a telegraph and when Auburn won, fans would throw the telegraph paper over the telephone wires. Now, fans have transitioned to toilet paper and rolling it on the trees. 

Auburn is rich in tradition and history, creating fun experiences both in Auburn during a game, or anywhere in the world on a random day. The culture that the university created is exciting and it will be a fun experience for every new student to be immersed in.

Amanda Davidson | Sports Writer

Amanda Davidson is a sophomore at Auburn, majoring in journalism and minoring in marketing and studio arts. From LaGrange, Ga., she started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @Manny1Davidson

Share and discuss “Auburn traditions that freshmen need to know” on social media.