Former Auburn softball player expresses frustrations with softball program on social media

Auburn softball player Carlee McCondichie (12) in the outfield during game against the UAB Blazers in Jane B. Moore Field on February 22, 2023.

Former Auburn softball utility player Carlee McCondichie took to Twitter on Sunday to express her frustrations with the university's softball program and why she would not be using a fifth year of eligibility to play for the Tigers.

"I will not be taking a 5th year. This thread is not directed towards Auburn University. I love Auburn with my whole heart and every single girl that is part of the Auburn softball program," McCondichie said on Twitter. "It is sad when a young girl who has played the sport for 18 years of her 22 year life has no interest or desire in playing a 5th year. That’s what happens when you play for a program where when you fail, you are immediately benched. A program where you aren’t pursued. A program where you are only looked at from an athletic perspective, not a personal perspective."

McCondichie continued voicing her frustrations in a thread where she cited that she gave her absolute all to the Auburn softball program and in return, was benched on senior day. McCondichie followed this up by saying, "This isn’t for attention, this is for the athletes to come. THEY DESERVE BETTER. STUDENT-ATHLETES ARE MUCH MORE THAN STUDENTS & MUCH MORE THAN ATHLETES. They are human beings."

McCondichie, who had a career batting average of .326, seven home runs and started 121 of the 166 games she played in, concluded the thread by saying she will always continue to support players with the Auburn softball program, but "...for me, my softball career is OVER and the thought of even playing one game brings me much anxiety, sadly."

Former Auburn first baseman Bri Ellis, who spent two years with the Tigers next to McCondichie before transferring to Arkansas, took to Twitter to defend her former teammate after a Twitter user claimed McCondichie was entitled.

"I am so SICK AND TIRED of you people belittling athletes especially MY CARLEE when you have NO IDEA OF WHAT WENT ON," Ellis said. "You were not there every day going through the ringer with us. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO HIT A BALL WITH TEARS IN YOUR EYES?"

Ellis continued her support of McCondichie and her decision in her own Twitter thread.

Ellis called McCondichie one of the hardest workers she knows and that "She has drive, determination, grit, and INTESTINAL FORTITUDE... If I know anything about Carlee, which you don’t, it’s that she gave her all on that field. And you know what? Sometimes you don’t perform. But with help and support, you can pick yourself up off the ground and get back to your best. The entire point of her post was that we didn’t have that, which hurts so bad that it ended up cutting her career short."

Ellis and McCondichie both played under Auburn head coach Mickey Dean, who is entering his sixth season in charge of the Tigers after taking over in 2018.

Auburn has lost four players from the 2023 season to the transfer portal plus McCondichie's decision not to play a fifth season for Auburn.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Former Auburn softball player expresses frustrations with softball program on social media” on social media.