Thorne named starting quarterback for Tigers

<p>Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne at Auburn's football practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 4, 2023.</p>

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne at Auburn's football practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 4, 2023.

The preseason quarterback battle is over: Payton Thorne will be Auburn’s starting quarterback for the opening game of the 2023 season. The announcement was made official by head coach Hugh Freeze on Thursday.

A Michigan State transfer, Thorne participated in 29 games for the Spartans and started in 2021 and 2022. Thorne passed for 6,493 yards and completed 61% of his passes in his Michigan State career, passing for 49 touchdowns and 24 interceptions.

Thorne had his most prolific season in 2021, leading the Spartans to an 11-2 record and a Peach Bowl victory. Thorne eclipsed 200 yards passing in nine games in 2022 — something Auburn only accomplished four times last season and only once in the final seven games.

Thorne beat out incumbent starter Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner for the position after two weeks of fall camp.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Thorne named starting quarterback for Tigers” on social media.