Auburn to face SMU, Florida State in Seminole Invitational

After winning nine straight sets to end the War Eagle Invitational last weekend, Auburn is headed to Florida for the Seminole Invitational to face first the SMU Mustangs on Saturday, Sep. 2, and then host team Florida State on Sunday, Sep. 3. 

SMU is coming off a sweep of host Florida State on the opening night of the tournament Friday night, handing a solid Seminole team its first loss of the season.

The Mustangs posted a .295 hitting percentage on the match and ended the third set with a .412 hitting percentage to cement the sweep. Graduate outside hitter Lauren Ohlinger was key for SMU, tallying 17 kills as well as three aces for the win. 

Both Auburn and SMU are struggling at the service line so far this season, with Auburn totaling 40 service errors and SMU accounting for 34. For SMU to compete with the Tigers, it is going to need to keep it clean at the service line and swing hard but accurately through a tough Auburn block that boasts 2.7 blocks per set. 

The Seminoles will look for a redemption match after getting swept on home turf during the opening day of play. Like the Tigers, Florida State received votes for the 2023 preseason AVCA Division I coaches’ poll and are expected to be a team to keep an eye out for when the postseason rolls around. 

Florida State already knows what it is like to face an SEC opponent, as it swept the Georgia Bulldogs last weekend in Athens, Georgia. Like SMU, the Seminoles are going to be letting their heavy hitters test the seasoned Tiger blockers after putting down 49 kills against SMU. 

Player to Watch: Auburn

Even though eyes are going to be on star sophomore outside hitter Akasha Anderson, who is leading the team with 40 kills on the season, the player to watch for Auburn is going to be Kentucky transfer middle blocker Bella Bell. 

Bell sits right behind Anderson in kills with 34 and has also been making an impact from a blocking standpoint, collecting seven so far this season. She is a versatile player who seems to have formed a quick connection with veteran setter Jackie Barrett. 

Player to Watch: SMU

Another transfer impact player in Lauren Ohlinger is the player to watch for the Mustangs. Coming from Boise State, Ohlinger was second for the Broncos in kills (367) and led the team in aces (42) last season.

While she will be impactful on the front row as an outside hitter, her experience and competency at the service line is where the Mustangs are going to need her to deliver against the Tigers.

Player to Watch: Florida State

Young Spain Park, Alabama native Audrey Rothman has been key for the Seminoles as an outside hitter to start the season. Returning from a successful freshman campaign where she was named to the 2022 ACC All-Freshman Team, Rothman is once again off to a hot start, leading the Seminoles with 42 kills. 

However, Florida State is going to need Rothman to produce on both sides of the ball. Since she is tied for second on the team in blocks (nine), she is going to need to help stop a well-oiled Auburn offense that is slashing a .339 hitting percentage on the season. 

As we have seen so far this early in the season, the amount of newcomers to Auburn’s roster seems to be blending well with the outstanding freshman class from last season. 

The key to victory for the Tigers is to play a clean match with minimal service errors and maintain the offensive and defensive production we have witnessed thus far. 

Even though the matches will not be televised, the Tigers can be found facing SMU on Saturday, Sep. 2, at noon CT. Auburn will then turn around to face the Seminoles on Sunday, Sep. 3, also at noon CT. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Auburn to face SMU, Florida State in Seminole Invitational” on social media.