Auburn volleyball continues SEC play against No. 14 Arkansas and Georgia

After the first two matches of SEC play, No. 24 Auburn holds a 1-1 record in the conference and now shifts its focus toward its matches this week against Arkansas and Georgia.

No. 14 Arkansas is off to a hot start this season with a 12-2 record and an undefeated record in conference play. The Razorbacks had no trouble last week as they took down South Carolina 3-0 and Texas A&M 3-1 at home to open the SEC schedule 2-0 before Auburn comes to town Wednesday. 

Coming off a loss to No. 3 Florida on the road 3-2, Georgia started conference play 0-1 with an upcoming match against No. 23 Kentucky at home on Friday before the Bulldogs travel to Neville Arena to face the Tigers. 

As SEC opening weekend ended, Auburn lost heartbreakingly to No. 3 Florida 3-2 after it took the first two sets Friday night. 

The Tigers bounced back against Ole Miss and took care of business on Sunday, winning 3-1 to improve to 11-2 overall and 1-1 in SEC play. 

Players to Watch

Auburn: Madison Scheer 

Teams have set their eyes on Akasha Anderson as she poses a significant threat, but while Anderson may lead the team in kills (161), sophmore Madison Scheer is right behind her on the season in kills at 148. Scheer finished the weekend with 27 kills, with 15 against Florida and 12 against Ole Miss. 

Scheer’s impressive .294 attack percentage against Ole Miss will command attention from opponents alongside Anderson in these upcoming games. 

Arkansas: Jillian Gillen

The graduate student who has led the team in kills this season started SEC play with solid performances against Texas A&M and South Carolina. She combined for 34 kills, 19 against the Aggies and 15 against the Gamecocks, for a combined impressive .347 kill percentage. 

She also recorded a combined four aces, proving her ability as a multifaceted threat to the Tigers. 

Georgia: Sophie Fischer 

The senior middle blocker has been a problem all over the court this season. In the losing effort against No. 3 Florida, she recorded 20 kills, nine block assists and two aces. She will draw the attention of the Tigers and will need to be on point for a Bulldogs team searching for their first win in conference play.

Auburn will continue conference play against the No. 14 Razorbacks on Wednesday, Sept. 27, at 7 p.m. CST on SEC Network. The Tigers will return to Neville Arena to face Georgia on Sunday, Oct. 1, at noon CST on ESPN. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball continues SEC play against No. 14 Arkansas and Georgia ” on social media.