Behind enemy bylines: California

Before Auburn takes on California on Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman's sports editor, Jacob Waters, sat down with The Daily Californian’s football beat writer, Kyle Ngo, to ask some questions about this weekend's contest.

Waters: What are some basic things Auburn fans should know about the Cal football team?

Ngo: “So we have new quarterback. Our top wide receiver and our top linebacker transferred out. Our top safety went to the draft, so it was a lot of new faces, and we also have a new offensive coordinator this year. So, it was a lot of uncertainties about whether this team would be better or worse than last year but I think I mean yesterday (Saturday) was really good. They won 58-21 which I think was really surprising and felt like the most optimistic of us. tThere was like a whole QB battle during training camp and stuff, but they had gone with Sam Jackson V, who was a TCU transfer, and he was he looked pretty good on the first drive. But then I think it was a couple minutes into the second quarter he hurt his shoulder on a design run, so they had to bring in the backup which was Ben Finley a transfer from NC State. And he was solid… he's not like pulling you out of the water with any like amazing deep those or anything, but he's making the right reads. He's making the correct passes, and I think he only had like one bad pass that was picked, but other than that, like he was pretty solid. The main part of our offense is our run game. Jade Ott, he's a true sophomore. He was really good last year, and then he's looks like he got even better this year. I think he had like close to 200 yards. It kind of just dominated on the run game yesterday, which did surprise a couple of people because our offensive coordinator Jake Spavital, he was OC in 2016, and it was like a huge air raid offense with Davis Webb. And then he also coached like Johnny Manziel and Kyler Murray at like their respective schools, so I think a lot of people expected a lot of passing in the offense. But then I think he recognized that not only was Sam Jackson like kind of new, because he had never played much at TCU. And then also when the backup came in, like it's not really running with the starters, so he kind of just kept running with the rushing game and it worked really well.

Waters: Do you think running the ball will be the plan next week, especially with Sam Jackson V potentially out?

Ngo: “I have to imagine I mean. I think it was really good that also, since it was such a blowout, they were able to get a lot of different running backs some touches. So that means like Ott and our backup, Isaiah Ifanse, were able to be a lot more rested for this game. And then, I mean, just what I think like, as you said, how Auburn's run defense was a more suspect than the past defense. I think it would make sense for them to stick to the run.”

Waters: Who are some players on offense that Auburn fans should look out for?

Ngo: “Definitely Jaden Ott. He's, I think he's our best offensive player, and I think a lot of fans would probably agree with me as well. And then our top wide receiver is Jeremiah Hunter. I think he was our wide receiver two, last year, but our top one transferred out to UCLA. So he's the number one now and he connected with Sam Jackson on like our second play of the game for a touchdown. But then, when Sam Jackson got hurt, he kind of settled down a little bit ,and he only ended up with like, maybe 60 yards. So hopefully, whether it's Sam Jackson coming back or he gets a whole week of reps with Ben Finley. I would expect them to have a little more action.”

Waters: Who are some players on defense that Auburn fans should look out for?

Ngo: “Our captain is a sixth-year, Jackson Sirmon. He’s actually the son of our defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon. He played at Washington first when he transferred here as a grad transfer, and he had a really good game yesterday. He had a sack and a bunch of tackles. He's definitely like the main guy in our [defense], and I think just like that entire linebacker core was very solid yesterday. They had two out of the three of our interceptions, so I think that that middle of the field is definitely one of our strong points. And then I know a lot of people have been high on our safeties, and his name's Patrick Morris and Craig Woodson. Both of them were, I think, rated pretty highly… I think similar to you guys, our d-line is a little rough.

Waters: What are some weaknesses on for Cal on offense and defense?

Ngo: “On defense, we had a lot of trouble with some deep passes. I think the corners were kind of getting burnt a little bit by some receivers. But they did adjust to that and just by bringing the safeties over to help a little more, and then our pass rush is not very good. But we weren't very good last year. I think we only had two sacks yesterday.

Waters: Your prediction for the game?

Ngo: “It's definitely going to be a close game, I think. I'll go with an upset at home. I think there's a lot there's gonna be a lot of people at the game for a home opener, and we have a gold out, supposedly. So I'll say that there's going to be an upset 31-28.

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: California” on social media.