Behind enemy bylines: Samford

Marquis McClain (17) resists tackle by multiple Samford players during the Auburn vs. Samford football game on Nov. 23, 2019 in Auburn, AL.

Before Auburn takes on Samford on Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman's sports editor, Jacob Waters, sat down with The Samford Crimson's sports editor, Davis Domescik, to ask some questions about this weekend's contest.

Waters: What are some things Auburn fans need to know about the Samford football team?

Domescik: "Samford's coming off a record season, making the FCS quarterfinals going I believe 11-1 in regular season play, only loss coming to the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens, and we return our star quarterback Michael Hiers . He is a candidate for the FCS Walter Payton Player of the Year award, which is the equivalent of the Heisman trophy, but currently we have hit a surprising rough patch. We're currently 1-1 headed to the Plains, had a shocking 30-7 loss at Western Carolina that really has stalled momentum for the season. It doesn't help that we're heading to play Auburn, so we'll see how it goes. But a lot of talent returning on both sides of the ball but unexpected result last week."

Waters: What happened last week in Samford's loss?

Domescik: "Looking at the game there were a lot of ulterior outside factors, having a six hour weather delay, I don't think helps at all. But frankly, we just got dominated on both sides of the ball on the line. Our offensive line gave up six sacks, Hires look pretty rattled in the pocket, couldn't really establishment momentum. He did throw for over 300 yards. Running game was decimated by their defensive line, and our defensive line couldn't get pressure on their running or quarterback, and they accumulated over 540 yards of total offense. But I did think the weather delay didn't help at all, but I'm not going to make excuses. We just got manhandle on both sides of the ball."

Waters: Tell me about Samford quarterback Michael Hiers, and do you think he could be successful at the FBS level?

Domescik: I do think he could. It really depends, I think he's graduating this year, so I think he's gonna stay at Samford, maybe grad transfer if he decides to go FBS, but I think he could. The system in place at Samford is all due to Chris Hatcher. It's an air raid offense, and I think a lot of quarterbacks could be successful in that but Hiers is really taking it to the next level. He's really accurate throwing the ball, doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Is not the best runner, but, you know, you don't really have to be in that offense. It's about getting the ball out quick and letting your receivers create. But yes, I think he could be successful at the FBS level. Do I think he makes the NFL? No, I don't think so, but he's the perfect fit for the Samford system."

Waters: Who are some other plays on the offense Auburn fans should have their eye on?

Domescik: "Definitely Chandler Smith. Chandler Smith is our best receiver. I think he has three total touchdowns this season, maybe two. Just a great player, knows the game, great locker room clubhouse guy. Ty King is the deep threat. He will be going out deep for a lot of deep balls, and on the offensive side of the ball that's about it. Jay Stanton is our lead running back. He's alright. Our running game isn't as emphasized as our passing game, but he's a great goal line running back, knows how to push the pile."

Waters: Who are some defensive players Auburn fans should look out for?

Domescik: "Noah Martin and Josiah Cotton are kind of the unspoken leaders of our defense, tackling machines. Just quarterbacks of the defense really are those two guys, and our secondary's all right, but it's really in the linebacker spot with Martin and Cotton that you're going to be looking out for and they're going to be tackling everywhere."

Waters: We talked about the strengths of Samford, but what are some of the weaknesses?

Domescik: "I would definitely say our offensive line is a weakness. Giving up six sacks last week does not leave me encouraged against a fearsome Auburn team. Our defensive line needs to learn how to pressure the quarterback more, gives our secondary the chance to get more picks and turnovers, but our lines I would say are the two weakest links of our team."

Waters: I've seen Auburn struggle with FCS teams in the past, so what's your prediction for this weekend, and do you think it could end up being close?

Domescik: "I do think it could end up being close. Transition years in the SEC are always hard. It is not Hugh Freeze's first year in the SEC, but it is his first year at Auburn. I do think it's close. I think Auburn pulls away, their offense gets settled in. I think Payton Thorne goes out by the third quarter, [Robby] Ashford takes over. That's how much of an escape win it is. I'm not expecting a blowout. I think Samford keeps it close in the first half, and Auburn starts to pull away. Maybe like a 38-14 kind of score. I do think Auburn wins though pretty handily."

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: Samford” on social media.