COLUMN | A win is a win

A win is a win. We hear that quite often, but after Auburn’s late night or early morning win over Cal, we will loudly proclaim that common refrain.

This past weekend, the Auburn Tigers traveled 2,430 miles to Berkeley, California, to face PAC-12 opponent, the Cal Bears. In what was a sloppy game on the offensive side of the ball, the Tigers reigned supreme when the clock struck zero.

The Golden State curse was finally broken. Over 10,000 Auburn fans made the trek to support their beloved Tigers, and they made sure that they were seen and heard loud and clear. History was made in front of their eyes.

Coach Hugh Freeze said it best, “Come on man. I was blown away. Honestly, I had no clue, and I told our team, and I mean this, that doesn't happen most places, not for a trip like this. That just doesn't happen."

The Auburn Family travels, and they travel well. It was 1:30 on Sunday morning in Auburn, and students, community members and downtown goers stormed to celebrate the win secured by the Tigers at Toomer’s Corner.

What made it even better? The other school across the state lost at home to, soon to be SEC foe, the Texas Longhorns. The double eagle was accomplished for the first time since 2014. During that year, Auburn defeated the LSU Tigers on the same day the Ole Miss Rebels, led by Freeze, took down Alabama in Oxford.

Now the Tigers return back to the Plains to take on the Samford Bulldogs for Homecoming. This time of year is always special because it is a time when alumni, young and old, return home and reminisce of their time at Auburn. It is also a time when current students can invite their families to enjoy the weekend on the Plains, and enjoy all that Homecoming has to offer.

It sounds so cliche until you actually experience it, but the Auburn Family is unique, and beyond incredible.

As I mentioned above, it was evident in Berkeley this past weekend, and I have a feeling we will see it even more during the games to come. As students get ready to be bombarded on the Haley concourse by Miss Homecoming campaigns, I want to advise every student to enjoy it all while you can, because it goes by fast.

To the fans, family members or alumni making the trip to Auburn this weekend, let me welcome you back to sweet home Auburn. Visit Southeastern, drink some Toomer’s lemonade, dine-in at Hamilton’s, attend the parade and on Saturday do all things that set Auburn apart from the rest.

Most importantly, believe in Auburn and love it!

Michael Floyd | Community Writer

Michael Floyd, junior in journalism, has been with The Plainsman since Spring 2021. He is a native of Brewton, Ala., an can be followed on Twitter here.

Share and discuss “COLUMN | A win is a win” on social media.