How Auburn players fared during NFL preseason

<p>Auburn running back Tank Bigsby (4) bursts ahead for a 41-yard touchdown run against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 29, 2022.</p>

Auburn running back Tank Bigsby (4) bursts ahead for a 41-yard touchdown run against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Oct. 29, 2022.

The NFL preseason ended this past weekend as each team played three games. NFL teams will have Labor Day weekend off before the regular season gets started on Sept. 7 where the Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions face off in the season opener. Many Auburn football players played during the preseason and put up some respectable numbers to be recognized by their fellow teammates and players. Here's a rundown on some of Auburn's best performers from the NFL preseason. 

Jarrett Stidham: Denver Broncos quarterback 

Jarrett Stidham is in his fifth year in the NFL, having been drafted by the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2019 draft. He is now on his third team with the Broncos and backing up starting quarterback Russell Wilson. In this 2023 NFL preseason, he played in all three games starting two of them and going 1-1 as a starter. He threw for 366 yards on 29 of 45 passing attempts. He also threw one touchdown passing and one interception as well. His total QBR for those games was 97.1. Stidham played quarterback for Auburn in 2017 and 2018. 

Tank Bigsby: Jacksonville Jaguars running back 

Tank Bigsby is in his first year in the NFL, having been drafted a few months ago in the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft. He played in every preseason game for the Jaguars this season, attaining 28 carries for 159 yards with a 5.7 yards per carry average. The Jaguars were 3-0 in the preseason. In two of those games, Bigsby had the most yards rushing of any Jaguars running back. Bigsby played running back at Auburn from 2020-2022. 

Noah Igbinoghene: Dallas Cowboys cornerback 

Noah Igbinoghene played all his preseason games with the Miami Dolphins where he was drafted in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. He was traded to the Cowboys on Wednesday for cornerback Kelvin Joseph. In the two games he played for the Dolphins, he had seven tackles, five of them were solo tackles and two of them were assists. The Dolphins went 1-1in those two games. Igbinoghene played cornerback and wide receiver for Auburn from 2017-2019. 

Derrick Brown: Carolina Panthers defensive tackle 

Derrick Brown is in his fourth year in the NFL and was drafted in the first round by the Panthers in the 2020 NFL Draft. He played in one game for the Panthers this preseason, where he totaled three tackles, one as a solo tackle and the other two assisted. The lone game he played in, Carolina lost. Brown played defensive tackle for Auburn from 2016-2019. 

Daniel Carlson: Las Vegas Raiders place kicker

Daniel Carlson is in his sixth season in the NFL and was drafted in the fifth round by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2018 NFL Draft. He played in all three games for the Raiders this preseason as the team went 1-2. He was 5-for-5 on field goal attempts and had an average of 51 yards per kick, as well as a long of 62 yards. Carlson was a kicker for Auburn from 2013-2017.

Anders Carlson: Green Bay Packers place kicker

Anders Carlson (brother of Daniel Carlson) is in his first year in the NFL, after being drafted a few months ago in the sixth round of the NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers. He played in all three games for the Packers this preseason. He was 4-for-4 on field goal attempts and had an average of 50 yards per field goal attempt, as well as a long of 57 yards. Carlson was a kicker for Auburn from 2017-2022.

Shedrick Jackson: Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver

Shedrick Jackson is in his first year in the NFL, after being signed as an undrafted free agent a few months ago by the Cincinnati Bengals. He played in all three games for the Bengals this preseason who went 0-2-1. He had nine receptions for 112 yards, averaging 12.4 yards per reception over the course of those three games along with one touchdown reception. Jackson was a wide receiver for Auburn from 2018-2022.

There are currently 34 players in the NFL that have played for Auburn that span across 21 teams in the NFL, according to Ourlads NFL Scouting Services.

The former Auburn players will take the field for their respective NFL teams next week when the season officially starts.

William Halliday | Sports Writer

William Halliday started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. He is a journalism major from Memphis, Tennessee.

Twitter: @wphalliday3

Share and discuss “How Auburn players fared during NFL preseason” on social media.