Plainsman Picks: UMass

An Auburn football rests on a table at the final day of SEC Media Days in Atlanta, Georgia, on July 21, 2022

Ahead of Auburn's opening game with UMass, here's what some of our sports staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Auburn 38-6

"UMass caught the eyes of some last week in its performance against New Mexico State, winning 41-30 and rushing for 197 yards and four touchdowns. After adding over 22 players from the transfer portal, with 20 of those being rated as 3-stars according to 247Sports, Minutemen head coach Don Brown seems to be doing a good job turning around a team that went 1-11 last season.

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has praised Brown for his "very chaotic" defenses, and that Brown's defense "will create negative plays." However, strictly off the talent gap between Auburn and UMass, the Tigers should not have many issues with the Minutemen. Auburn may come out slow as it tries to gel together a new team, but Auburn will pull away quickly and cruise to a stress-free win to open the Freeze era."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Auburn 41-17

"UMass was projected to be one of college football's worst teams this season, though the Minutemen likely quelled most of that talk with their week zero win at New Mexico State. Though transfer Taisun Phommachanh brings a new dimension to a UMass offense that seems vastly improved from the team's nation-worst 2022 offense, the Minutemen are not quite to the level of competing with a program of Auburn's caliber.

While at Liberty, Hugh Freeze previously prepared for Don Brown's defense, which remains unchanged from years past. UMass is improved enough to keep within striking distance for a short time but in the end, depth will win out and Auburn will have the game in hand by the third quarter, allowing the backups to receive extended second-half playing time."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Auburn 35-10

“Auburn looks to claim its seventh straight season-opening victory against UMass, and it should have no problem defeating the Minutemen on Saturday. UMass is coming off a 41-30 win over New Mexico State in its season opener as seven-point underdogs, but the Minutemen cannot give up 30 points if they are looking to defeat the Tigers in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

With a new head coach in Hugh Freeze, a new starting quarterback in Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne  and a revamped defense, the Tigers are beginning a new era in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Auburn’s defensive line will keep UMass out of the end zone, and their secondary will prevent UMass quarterback Taisum Phommachanh – who was unable to throw any balls beyond 20 yards in the Minutemen’s season opener – from completing any deep passes, leading to a Tigers victory and Freeze’s first on the Plains.”

William Halliday, Sports Writer: Auburn 38-10

"Auburn has won its season opener each of the past six seasons. The last time it lost its season opener was against Clemson in 2016, losing 19-13. I think most of us can agree that UMass is not the same caliber as that Clemson team in 2016. I believe that Hugh Freeze will have his guys ready in week one, and the Tigers fanbase will be loud and excited inside Jordan-Hare. Payton Thorne will bring his experience and leadership into the starting offensive group, which will spread to the defense who will hold UMass to less than two touchdowns. It will be Hugh Freeze's first win on the Plains that could possibly carry momentum into the rest of the season."

Craig Noyes, Sports Writer: Auburn 51-16

"Auburn opens the season against UMass, who only managed to win a singular game the past season, and comes into Jordan-Hare Saturday having already matched that win total in week zero with an impressive road win over New Mexico State, 41-30. While I don’t believe that the Minutemen will see quite the same success offensively against Auburn’s defense, they can find the endzone at least once. 

On the other hand, Auburn will be trotting out Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne as their respective starter, and it is still unclear how long he will remain in the game with Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner waiting in the wings. Expect the offense to move the ball relatively easily and for Auburn to claim an easy victory."

Caitlyn Griffin, Sports Writer: Auburn 31-10

"Jordan-Hare Stadium will be electric on Saturday as Auburn fans will finally get to see what Freeze’s men are made of during the first game of the season. The Tigers had a successful offseason acquiring much-needed depth to the offense and defense. With Payton Thorne in the pocket and an improved O-line, Freeze added experience and talent to Auburn's new offense. 

After spending four seasons at Liberty, Freeze knows head coach Don Brown's style. The Tigers' must watch out for the Minutemen's ability to create negative plays and capitalize on turnovers in order to secure the win."  

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: UMass” on social media.