Advanced Manufacturing Training Center now open

Auburn Mayor Ron Anders, Auburn University President Chris Roberts and others pose in front of AMTC.

A public-private partnership between Auburn University's College of Engineering Integrated Center for Advanced Manufacturing Systems (ICAMS) and the City of Auburn's Industrial Development Board (IDB) has resulted in the opening of the Advanced Manufacturing Training Center (AMTC).

The AMTC is an advanced machining center for technology application in a manufacturing environment. The center focuses on manufacturing and machining workforce training and pipeline development for new and existing employees.

There was a ribbon cutting outside of the facility at 1:30 p.m. CST on Oct. 27. Before the ribbon cutting, multiple people who were involved in the project took the opportunity to address the crowd. 

These speakers included Auburn Mayor Ron Anders, Auburn University President Chris Roberts and the director of ICAMS Dr. Greg Harris.

"What it means to me is there are more opportunities for our students and our citizens than there used to be," Anders said. "Because of the willingness of partnerships between the Department of Defense, the City of Auburn's IDB and Auburn University, we're providing something unique, especially in the environment of a four-year university.

Anders said that he takes pride in being the mayor of a city with opportunities such as this.

"For me as a mayor, it's another call to our students, to our potential students and to others that says we're a place where you can have a real opportunity. You can learn a lot about manufacturing while you go to Auburn. Or you can graduate from Auburn and stay in Auburn and have a great job."

Amy Brabham, Auburn's Director of Workforce Development, is optimistic about what the AMTC means for Auburn's future.

"It's important for us to help our industries, particularly in the training and preparation of their workforce and that's exactly what this does," Brabham said. "With Auburn University's ICAMS program, it really steps up the ability for us to do projects with applied engineering for our engineering graduates which helps us to put those out in the workforce and have our industries be successful."

Brabham believes that the AMTC will serve as a great recruiting tool for Auburn University.

"I think for students it's fabulous," Brabham said. "I know that we will have to get the word out even further. Right now it's an industrial system and mechanical, but we look for a new major coming up at the University for advanced manufacturing."

Students at Auburn can get involved in the program as soon as they start and it can lead to internship and employment opportunities down the road.

"They can actually come and work every Friday throughout the school year and be a part of the Southern Union Transition and get a certificate in the summer all sponsored by ICAMS," Brabham said. "It's a wonderful opportunity for students to get that applied knowledge that they may not get in any other form."

The primary areas of focus for the AMTC facility include multi-axis machining, additive manufacturing, industrial automation, digital factory (industry 4.0) and metrology. Students can get involved in the program immediately.

Daniel Locke | Community Editor

Daniel Locke, junior in journalism, is the community editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

Twitter: @danieljlocke

Share and discuss “Advanced Manufacturing Training Center now open” on social media.