All in, all pink: breast cancer awareness at Auburn University

All In All Pink, the breast cancer awareness event on the Auburn Campus Green on October 6th, 2023.

Auburn University observes October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. To properly raise awareness and celebrate survivors, the university held an event on the campus greenspace.

Auburn University held a breast cancer awareness event on Oct. 6, 2023. The event included a concert from the Auburn University Gospel Choir, free health screenings and a guest speaker.

The event was sponsored by Auburn University outreach, the Office of Public Service and the women’s and gender studies department. Phi Delta Chi and Zeta Tau Alpha also took part in putting the event on for university students. 

The university had two speakers at the event, Nancy Merner, assistant professor and genetics researcher, as well as Michelle Lumpkin-Crumbly, a breast cancer survivor.

The Auburn University gospel choir opened the event with their rendition of Worth, originally by Anthony Brown. Merner shared her research and insight with the event attendees at noon on Oct. 6 after the choir preformed.

“Breast Cancer awareness month was established in 1985, only 35 years ago," Merner said. "It was established to promote mammograms as a lifesaving screening method. It’s also a month devoted to raising funds towards lifesaving research."

Merner reminded attendees how important it is to get tested. She also mentioned that breast cancer is genetic, so men and women can both carry the disease gene.

“I want to stress that genetic testing saves lives. Our goal is to provide access and inclusion to testing. It’s important to note, that men can get breast cancer, but their chances are one percent for their lifetime risk,” Merner said. “It is important to note their family history to truly know if they carry the Breast Cancer gene.”

Finally, Merner informed attendees that breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women, and that it’s important that the month is observed.

After Merner spoke, Lumpkin-Crumbly came to share her story. Lumpkin-Crumbly was diagnosed with stage three B triple negative breast cancer on Feb. 22, 2021. This cancer is the fastest spreading form of breast cancer. 

“Around Christmas in 2020, I felt a lump. I scheduled an appointment and I got an appointment six weeks out in February 2021. I was in Newman Georgia, and it was there that they informed me that I had triple negative stage three B breast cancer. One of the most aggressive and fastest growing breast cancers," Lumpkin-Crumbly said. 

Lumpkin-Crumbly went through multiple surgeries, and rounds of chemotherapy. She also spoke on how the cancer changed her life not only during her fight but as well as when she was diagnosed cancer-free.

“After any fight there is an aftermath," Lumpkin-Crumbly said. "I still had effects of five months of chemo, which include brain fog, low energy and developing a failing liver. Surgery, which involved a mastectomy and the removal of 14 lymph nodes which caused the need for occupational therapy for my left arm. Twenty-five rounds of radiation and reconstructive surgery for my legs,” 

Lumpkin-Crumbly is also a board-certified counselor, and works in the Auburn-Opelika area. She has her own private practice for cancer survivors with survivor’s anxiety and guilt. She recalled the support system that she had while battling the disease and wanted to be that support for those that don’t have it.

“Today I stand before you, two years cancer free, no evidence of disease due to my faith and my will to live. Also due to excellent treatment and a great support system. Because my wounds are covered and not physically seen, people fail to realize that the battle mentally and physically still exist. That is why I started my private practice,” Lumpkin-Crumbly said.

Lumpkin-Crumbly closed with her reasoning of becoming an advocate for those going through or those that have survived breast cancer.

“I choose to live, be and advocate for myself, my family and others. I am no longer a survivor, but a living warrior,” Lumpkin-Crumbly said. “An experienced fighter, going into battle with other warriors; dressed in pink, purple, yellow, green, blue and orange. Some warriors are older, some are just innocent children, but we’re all armoring up for this cause.”

Brychelle Brooks | Campus Reporter

Brychelle Brooks is a sophomore majoring in public and professional writing. She has been with The Plainsman since August 2023.

Share and discuss “All in, all pink: breast cancer awareness at Auburn University” on social media.